Author Topic: nsemail.html still giving me problems  (Read 4702 times)

REDACTED

nsemail.html still giving me problems
« on: January 29, 2016, 07:28:24 PM »
I found this on the net: "FYI my mail works correctly for 24 hrs now. the problem - the last update of Avast considered the "nsemail.html" file dangerous.
After excluding the file in Avast everything works fine".
So how do I exclude the file in avast! I looked through the mail shield customize tabs but I didn't find anything. I'm using Avast free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: nsemail.html still giving me problems
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 07:52:25 PM »
You said:
Quote from: DaveAtAvast
After excluding the file in Avast everything works fine".

So you shouldn't need exclude it in the Mail Shield if you have placed the entry in the Global Exclusions - AvastUI > Settings > General > Exclusions.

Or is there something more to this, can you expand the problem or is this just part of the information you found on the internet ?

If this is something you found on the internet, then use the Global Exclusions mentioned above.

What email are you using, webmail (accessed through your browser) or email program ?

Can you attach a screen shot of the avast alert window.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 11:36:25 PM »
My bad! The quote was from someone who said they solved the nsemail.html problem by adding the file to exclusions. They didn't say how they did it. Just options----> exclusions. I didn't mean to imply that I solved it. I should have been more careful about how I edited his statement. I don't know how to put text in a blue box but the following surrounded by double brackets is his entire statement:
[[I have solved it including the file in the Exclusion list, but because Thunderbird tries to use different renamed version of the file, I only managed when I used these paths (maybe the first is not necessary):

C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\[LOCAL_CONFIG]\Temp\nsemail.html
C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\[LOCAL_CONFIG]\Temp\nsemail*.html

It is under Options --> Exclusions. The [USER] and [LOCAL_CONFIG] must be replaced in each case, and maybe in some different Windows version it is different.]] https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=78428.msg1245756#msg1245756
so where in Avast is the location of the file exclusions or is it in Thunderbird and how do I add the exclusion. As you can see saying "It is under Options --> Exclusions" is rather useless to me. I've been reading quite a lot and while it's mostly greek to me, I decided to turn off the different shields and see what happens So far with File System Shields turned off the problem seems to be solved. But now I want to know what problems turning off File System Shields will cause.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 11:58:20 PM »
I would suggest that you send this to avast as a possible false positive (is that option in the alert window ?).

You can expand the Exclusions and that has 4 areas:
1. File Paths, for local files.
2. URLs for web site locations.
3. & 4. aren't really relevant for this issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 02:06:46 AM »
This is how stupid I am. I was about to send you a screen shot to show you that there was no way to add an exclusion. If it hadn't been for your screen shot I may not have found the exclusions field. If I ever scrolled down before I didn't noticed the exclusions field, (word blindness). Actually I think that some of the posts used the word exceptions, or it's just me. Anyway once I got the address added right it seems to be working. Hope it sticks. Thanks

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 02:12:58 AM »
I should have mentioned I'm using Thunderbird. Actually I thought this was only a Thunderbird problem, so I assumed you knew. Sorry about that.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »
This is how stupid I am. I was about to send you a screen shot to show you that there was no way to add an exclusion. If it hadn't been for your screen shot I may not have found the exclusions field. If I ever scrolled down before I didn't noticed the exclusions field, (word blindness). Actually I think that some of the posts used the word exceptions, or it's just me. Anyway once I got the address added right it seems to be working. Hope it sticks. Thanks

You're welcome.

Some time ago here used to be some areas which referred to exceptions but now everything in avast should be commonly called Exclusions. Some users still mention exceptions, whilst some of the posts you may have been viewing could well be quite old.

I should have mentioned I'm using Thunderbird. Actually I thought this was only a Thunderbird problem, so I assumed you knew. Sorry about that.

No problem.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »
This is what I posted on Mozilla. I'm adding it here because I haven't found a set of directions that were succinct. This may be able to help someone else:  Matt; Thanks for getting back to me. The solutions sited in the link you sent me is for incoming mail, and sending and receiving linked to ssl cache respectively. Neither proved fruitful. But, they got me going in the right direction. This is what has so far worked for me. I added the the Avast certificate as directed in the Thunderbird certificates and deleted the entries entitled "Avast Mail Scanner" from the servers tab. [https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB91#artTitle] I ran through the posts in this thread:
[https://forum.avast.co/index.php?topic=78428.msg1245756#msg1245756]
then I asked this in the Avast form:
[https://forum.avast.com/?topic=182308.new;topicseen#new] From the answers I was able to "solve" the problem.
Open the Avast interface and open settings. In General settings scroll down to exclusions. Click on browse. In the window that opens open respective folders "C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Temp". Check the box next to Temp to select the path. Click OK. Add "\nsemail.html"to the end of the path. Click Add and then click OK. Click OK to close Settings. This should work for Windows XP which is apparently the only affected OS.