Author Topic: [Suggestions] New version 5.0  (Read 2778 times)

Offline ZombieZoom

• avast! Super Sayajin since 2008
[Suggestions] New version 5.0
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:58:13 PM »
Hi there!
I am a long time avast! user and regarding the new version, I have mixed feelings. I like the new GUI but a lot of features were removed from the app like the firewall for example. I know that you guys are researching the possibility of adding back the firewall based on users inputs. One thing however is very disturbing, the introduction of ads in the application interface! I was about to uninstall the app but I said why not first head to the forums and express your opinion.

1. Please remove in-app ads. Introduce new premium features and subscription if possible.
2. Add the ability to lock applications using your fingerprint/pattern. (not really that important but since the app already have app lock feature so why not!).
3. No ads please!.
4. Add firewall back.
5. Update Avast Anti-theft to current version of Mobile Security.
6. Did I mention that I really hate seeing in-app ads?

Thank you.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: [Suggestions] New version 5.0
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 03:07:16 PM »
Hi,

we might introduce an option to purchase a subscription to remove ads (this is hard to tell at the moment), but the ads themselves in the free version are not going anywhere (at least not anytime soon). One doesn't have to be a genius to see that we switched from direct monetization (subscriptions) to indirect monetization (ads). We need to let that run for some time then evaluate the results to see if it was the right move or not. After that we'll probably decide if we remove the ads, introduce a subscription to remove the ads or leave it as it is now.

I don't know about the pattern, but I have a good feeling about the fingerprint.

Filip
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:08:36 AM by Filip Havlicek »

Offline ZombieZoom

• avast! Super Sayajin since 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:53:12 PM »
Hi,

we might introduce an option to purchase a subscription to remove ads (this is hard to tell at the moment), but the ads themselves in the free version are not going anywhere (at least not anytime soon). One doesn't have to a genius to see that we switched from direct monetization (subscriptions) to indirect monetization (ads). We need to let that run for some time then evaluate the results to see if it was the right move or not. After that we'll probably decide if we remove the ads, introduce a subscription to remove the ads or leave it as it is now.

I don't know about the pattern, but I have a good feeling about the fingerprint.

Filip
Fair enough. Thanks for your response :-)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 09:46:28 AM »
If you go back to paying a fee to remove the adds then you might as well left the premium subscription as it was.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,