Author Topic: Regarding VPS Updates at Startup  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Regarding VPS Updates at Startup
« on: February 02, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »
Hi all,

I've been checking recently whether Avast VPS updates itself on startup on Windows 10 but it isn't - if I manually click update, the VPS definitions will update.

The streaming updates are not affected and always update.

Now I've been looking and when Windows 10 is enabled to fast boot (which is set by win10 default), Avast does not update until 60 mins later after startup (I have set my VPS updates to check every hour).

If Fast boot is disabled, the VPS updates happen at startup immediately.

Does anyone else have this happen to them?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Regarding VPS Updates at Startup
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:22:13 AM »
Hello,
from what I read about win 10 fast boot it is combination of shutdown and hibernation. So maybe the hibernation is the reason that it does not look like boot of system but just wake up from hibernation.

Milos

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:05:46 PM »
Hello,
from what I read about win 10 fast boot it is combination of shutdown and hibernation. So maybe the hibernation is the reason that it does not look like boot of system but just wake up from hibernation.

Milos

Yes, that is the problem.

Certain AVs such as Eset have managed to update even through wake up for hibernation.

I think Avast needs to get this sorted since many users will be moving towards Windows 10 in the future and it wouldn't be good to be without the latest VPS for 240 minutes (which is default) until the next schedule update event happens.

I agree that streaming updates are not affected by this but the VPS is important too.

Is there any way Avast can overcome this in the future?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline jimb11

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »
I have Windows 10 and have the same problem! I don't know why Avast hasn't fixed this yet either!

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 03:29:12 PM »
I have Windows 10 and have the same problem! I don't know why Avast hasn't fixed this yet either!

To be fair this hasn't been mentioned before so I await the next reply.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »
Bump..

This needs to be looked at.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 09:57:12 PM »
Let's assume Avast is configured to check for updates every hour. Are you saying that if you shutdown your machine for more than an hour and then start it again, the virus definitions are not updated momentarily, but it takes another hour before that happens?

Offline jimb11

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 10:04:49 PM »
That's what happens to me. If I start the computer in the morning it will not update until 4 hours later. I'm using Avast Free 11.1.2253.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 10:08:04 PM »
Let's assume Avast is configured to check for updates every hour. Are you saying that if you shutdown your machine for more than an hour and then start it again, the virus definitions are not updated momentarily, but it takes another hour before that happens?

Yes, that is correct.

You need to remember the default is every 4 hours though. So lets say the machine is shut down for more than 4 hours, the virus definitions are not updated momentarily, you will need to wait 4 hours, before it happens.

This only affects Windows 8/8.1 and 10 where the fast boot is enabled. Windows 7 is not affected.

I don't think it will be adviseful for users to be without the latest VPS updates.

The MAIN issue is what Milos said that Avast doesn't update itself on startup because fast boot is like waking up from hibernation (so avast doesn't think it's a system boot up)... but other anti-virus firms have found their way around this.

Edit: Fixed a typo.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:36:28 PM by Alikhan »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 12:22:39 AM »
Well, my initial understanding was that instead of attempting to update immediately on start (which is what happens on older OSes), the configured interval (4 hours by default) is sticked to (continuing through the time the machine is off), as if the shutdown didn't happen and the computer was running the whole time (example: the configured interval is 4 hours, you shut down the machine for 3 hours - and then it takes another hour for the check to happen).
That would be OK in my opinion; different from the behavior on older Windows, but not necessarily wrong.

However, if you start the computer after it's been off for a long period, and the whole interval (say 4 hours) just starts at the moment - then it's wrong. I'd say a check for a new update still "happens" right after the machine starts even in that case, but maybe it fails for some reason (network hasn't started yet?) and the interval resets. (But I'm really just speculating at the moment.)

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 01:00:26 AM »
Well, my initial understanding was that instead of attempting to update immediately on start (which is what happens on older OSes), the configured interval (4 hours by default) is sticked to (continuing through the time the machine is off), as if the shutdown didn't happen and the computer was running the whole time (example: the configured interval is 4 hours, you shut down the machine for 3 hours - and then it takes another hour for the check to happen).
That would be OK in my opinion; different from the behavior on older Windows, but not necessarily wrong.

However, if you start the computer after it's been off for a long period, and the whole interval (say 4 hours) just starts at the moment - then it's wrong. I'd say a check for a new update still "happens" right after the machine starts even in that case, but maybe it fails for some reason (network hasn't started yet?) and the interval resets. (But I'm really just speculating at the moment.)

I agree with your first paragraph and I see nothing wrong there.

However, I do not think the update check happens after the interval at startup - due to fast boot on Win 10. I've tested this out on a wide range of PCs and laptops with both wired and wireless connections.

The streaming updates happen immediately during startup too and they are NOT affected by this.

I have tested with other anti viruses on the same PCs and the update happens immediately with them at startup.

I don't think this is related to the network starting but rather something to do with Avast.

It's also worth mentioning that if fast boot is disabled, Avast updates the VPS fine without any problems at startup.

Feel free to test it and you will see.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:04:36 AM by Alikhan »

Offline jimb11

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 03:29:48 PM »
@Alikhan

Could you tell me who those other AV's are that work when you first start your computer?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 06:56:07 PM »
@Alikhan

Could you tell me who those other AV's are that work when you first start your computer?

I'd rather not to be honest... I just want Avast to fix the issue.

Offline jimb11

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 07:08:19 PM »
No Problem. I agree I want them to fix the problem also!

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 04:46:18 PM »
Bump...

Answer is needed.