Author Topic: Regarding VPS Updates at Startup  (Read 7371 times)

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Regarding VPS Updates at Startup
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »
Bump.... has there been any development?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline jimb11

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 05:58:56 PM »
I PM'ed igor but have not heard anything back!

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 07:43:26 PM »
HI I just thought I would add my thoughts if I may this morning avast free did not update the definitions so I decided to go through the power options in control panel and I disabled fast boot and restarted my Windows 10 home edition desktop and when I got to the desktop I checked avast free by going to the update and clicking and sure enough the definitions were up to date at 11-0.  I just thought I would also put a thought in. 

Thanks avast team hope this helps and I hope this issue get resolved sooner then later.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 06:42:27 PM »

Can the Avast team give a reply back...

It's been more than week.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 06:48:11 PM »
Can the Avast team give a reply back...
Well, they already did, see Reply #1/#3/#9.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 06:51:42 PM »
Well, my initial understanding was that instead of attempting to update immediately on start (which is what happens on older OSes), the configured interval (4 hours by default) is sticked to (continuing through the time the machine is off), as if the shutdown didn't happen and the computer was running the whole time (example: the configured interval is 4 hours, you shut down the machine for 3 hours - and then it takes another hour for the check to happen).
That would be OK in my opinion; different from the behavior on older Windows, but not necessarily wrong.

However, if you start the computer after it's been off for a long period, and the whole interval (say 4 hours) just starts at the moment - then it's wrong. I'd say a check for a new update still "happens" right after the machine starts even in that case, but maybe it fails for some reason (network hasn't started yet?) and the interval resets. (But I'm really just speculating at the moment.)

I agree with your first paragraph and I see nothing wrong there.

However, I do not think the update check happens after the interval at startup - due to fast boot on Win 10. I've tested this out on a wide range of PCs and laptops with both wired and wireless connections.

The streaming updates happen immediately during startup too and they are NOT affected by this.

I have tested with other anti viruses on the same PCs and the update happens immediately with them at startup.

I don't think this is related to the network starting but rather something to do with Avast.

It's also worth mentioning that if fast boot is disabled, Avast updates the VPS fine without any problems at startup.

Feel free to test it and you will see.

Thanks.

I want an answer to this from them...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 06:53:53 PM »
As long as the stream updates work for you, I can't see any real problem here.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 04:43:55 PM »
For what it is worth over years Hibernation has caused real problems within Windows......not O/S but other software.
Normal "sleep" provides all the "power" levels you need so all Hibernation does is quicker starts or re-starts.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj835779%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
Win10 uses Hibernation as its trick for fast boot.....but oddly a power down is just a hibernation, a restart is a true boot.
For me there is too many variables for a problem to occur (not just me making mistakes but 3rd party software packages.....their drivers, etc.) that I cannot readily understand.
Also, "for me" a "return from sleep mode" is fine in its speed/quickness.
Thus, in my experience with Hibernation over the years the risk/reward is heavily weighted as too much problem for too little glory. :)
Anyway, my point is I "disable" hibernation in every PC...first thing I do with new PC.
It's real simple (c:\windows\sysmtem32\powercfg -h off) process to disable: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/920730
Here is link on Fast Startup disabling: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html
.....but simply disabling Hibernate takes care of this.

Anyway, just FYI in case there is interest...........
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:06:50 AM by thekochs »