Author Topic: New AMS 5 is a downgrade to AMS 4.x  (Read 2467 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
New AMS 5 is a downgrade to AMS 4.x
« on: February 05, 2016, 08:52:55 AM »
I was eagerly waiting for AMS version 5 and yesterday I finally installed it. And right away, it's a MASSIVE downgrade from the version 4.x that you offered before. Sure interface looks nicer, but there are also things that are significantly worse.

- No more app locking with 3x3 grid gestures, only PIN code
- Can't seem to be able to protect AMS with password/gesture anymore
- Notification bar icon not visible at all times to indicate AMS is working

I hoped to be an improvement, not this downgrade with missing features that old version had. Why did you guys decide for such downgrade of features that worked and were designed great?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
Re: New AMS 5 is a downgrade to AMS 4.x
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »
Welcome to AMS 5! Yeah it's a huge disappointment. Yeah lots of stuff that was in AMS 4 has been removed only God knows why.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 04:22:08 PM »
- No more app locking with 3x3 grid gestures, only PIN code
- Can't seem to be able to protect AMS with password/gesture anymore
- Notification bar icon not visible at all times to indicate AMS is working

Hi RejZor,

just to answer these points
- we're working on improving App locking, possibly adding more locking options, stay tuned
- now only App locking itself is protected, but feel free to also lock AMS with it
- this is a hard one, as there're also people who don't like the icon, but because we really need it there to keep running, we chose this compromise that the icon is only visible when you pull down the notification bar. However, the icon will raise its priority when there's some trouble (malware found, dangerous Wifi network etc.)

Ondra

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 08:32:41 PM »
But then I'm never sure if it's really running. I want icons up there for apps that are high priority for me. For example 3G Watchdog and avast! icon is what I want in the notification bar. I'd rather lose the "You're safe" thing when you drag notification bar down and have tiny icon up there at all times. Use second icon to notify user about important warnings. Other apps do it, so why not avast! ?

I'm sure it can be done one way or another. Just notification icon without the expanded icon, both or just expanded notification without the tiny icon in notification itself. So many people would be happy about it.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog