Author Topic: I need help here! Please!  (Read 12429 times)

deanna

Re: I need help here! Please!
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 12:18:21 AM »
Okay, I did get the editor open but have not been able to open config.sys. It is really scary messing around in these system files when I am not sure what I am doing!

I backed out back to the c: prompt, I think I need to research this a little better. I do feel like this is where the problem is, and I read how to disable a command in there. I just need to find out how to pull config.sys file up in the editor. I am sure if I could disable Avast from the boot up this problem would go away. Then I could fix it from the top side!

I have messed around quite a bit in DOS but it was only on older computers that I wasn't trying to save the stuff on anyway. Under those conditions I was brave! And usually successful with what I was trying to do. This time is it is scary!
I want those school files realllllly bad!  >:(

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 12:38:13 AM »
How about edit config.sys? O boy where are those DOS days hihi  ;D

deanna

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 12:40:17 AM »
Okay, after further study the config. sys is not in Windows ME. So that is not where I want to be anyway! I will keep on searching!

deanna

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2005, 12:54:42 AM »
The start up commands are in the registry for Windows ME! I miss Windows 98 for it's simplicity!

I know, I know, those were the olden days. I still think there should be a way to stop Avast trying to update these files in a case like this. Maybe future developement?

galooma

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005, 01:06:24 AM »
maybe what you need to focus on is disable cmd from dos see link http://www.computerhope.com/disable.htm
and this might lead to a recovery

deanna

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2005, 01:19:30 AM »
I was excited there for a minute! But it says it only works in Windows 2000 and XP...
Bummer...

scarygary

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2005, 01:26:22 AM »
I'm new here but I do have some tech background. Without knowing more information, let me ask you this; Have you tried to uninstall avast? Then reinstall. or, can you get into your system tools and do a complete restore to an earlier date before all these problems started?

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2005, 01:29:29 AM »
She cannot get into windows....deanna have you tried the F8 boot logging option to see where it gets stuck.

deanna

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2005, 01:35:20 AM »
ScaryGary,
Thanks for you reply, if you read my first post it will explain. I cannot get into anything except with my boot disk. I am in what is left of dos on Windows ME. I have found out the file that holds the start up commands. My next step is to get into the registry and disable Avast there.

Wish me luck!  :o

ReVaN,
I have tried the F8, tried everything there and it just goes back to updating my configuration files. I tried the step by step confirmation, turning each thing off and trying again. Still went to the updating thing! Ugh!

deanna

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2005, 04:31:50 AM »
I think I might be on to something with the erase command, thanks to a link posted here on the board. But what is the file ext on Avast files? I ask because I cannot get in to look at them.
Still here and working, I hope someone out there is!  :(

deanna

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2005, 04:54:57 AM »
Can anyone tell me the path to the avast files? Where does it live?

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2005, 09:30:05 AM »
Avast normally lives here (default Setup)C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

deanna

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2005, 02:02:02 AM »
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions! I was up until 4 am trying to fix this sucker. This morning I gave up and took it to a computer tech. If he can't fix it, he thought he would be able to get the files that I need off of it. KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED! He said it sounded to him like a bad download file. maybe missing something, or part of it came in but not all!

Just wanted to let you know how this ended up. One thing I know for sure is, I will be in bed early tonight!
Thanks again and Happy New Year!  :-*

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2005, 11:50:11 AM »
Well i guess you could of just copied the files to a different partition that is if you have multiple partitions.Anyway HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too! :)

deanna

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2005, 04:31:36 AM »
I called the tech today, he couldn't break it loose either, he did get all the files I needed and also others, my documents, email, and some software that I have purchased transfered onto my temporiary hard drive. He is going to run the recover cd and put my files back on. I am grateful of that.

He ran a virus scan and found nothing! I thought that it would be clean because I am careful there, and have good protection, firewall, and avast. He will finish it tomorrow and it will come home. Now I am going to be worried that this will happen again, with the avast update files I mean. I really like avast and how easy it is to use. What do all of you think? I respect your opinions...

One thing is for sure, I will back up on a more regular basis!!!