Author Topic: Feature request  (Read 6786 times)

REDACTED

Feature request
« on: June 18, 2015, 05:55:02 PM »
Hi!

On competitor products like Battery Doctor, there are battery conditioning and charge accelleration features that monitors charging by speeding up charge for the first 80%, standard charge for the next 20% and limits trickle charge to some minutes. It speeds up phone charging quite significantly.

Have you considered adding similar functionality to your product?

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
Re: Feature request
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 10:06:54 AM »
Hi ElvindSH,

(un)fortunately there's no way an app could affect the charging process. The device/charger electronics is responsible for that. App can monitor charging, for sure, show you the capacity, voltage, or even the current that flows in/out of the battery, but it can't say "now charge" or "stop charging".

Also, there's no such thing as "trickle charge" for Lithium-Ion batteries. These are very sensitive to overcharge and so the charge cycle is more like: stop charging when the battery is full, if the voltage drops below X, start charging again. You can read quite interesting article about charging Lithium-Ion batteries here: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Hope that helps.

Ondra

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 01:13:44 PM »
Ok.

Here is a review of the competitor, and their functionality:
http://www.ghacks.net/2013/03/07/battery-doctor-make-the-most-out-of-battery-on-android/

I think the key functionality in their solution is putting the phone in "phone and sms" only mode, and putting non-essential processes in deep sleep during charge. (Thereby reducing power consumption during charge).

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 05:39:39 PM by EivindSH »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »
Hi, as my colleague Ondrej said, apps cannot control battery charging speed in any way. Only the device itself can control charging process, controlling voltage, temperature etc.
Li-ion batteries works in way, that 80% is quickly charged, and rest 20% is charged slowly.
Only thing that Battery Doctor is doing here is showing nice animation.
We don't want to make such useless features in our app, we focus on things that really save battery.
Try our app for few days, that competitor app for few days and you will see the difference.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 11:48:10 PM »
What about some form of alarm or notification definition to be warned if charging has reached 80% ? If the app can not stop charging it would at least inform us that we have to act "manually"...

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 06:08:35 PM »
That's one of the reasons why I came from Battery Doctor to Avast Battery Saver. They sell you a bunch of useless functions along with ads. As said above app doesn't control charging it just says which phase of the charging process is currently happening (at least roughly). Only thing useful with Battery Doctor was profile switching. And this is much better done by Avast Battery Saver.

RAM booster is just an endelss circle of killing autostarting apps which maybe uses more power than it saves. That's why they introduced hibernation of apps. This is useful, but I saw that it hibernate some system services that I think shouldn't hibernate. Also, the hibernation process is much slower than with Greenify app.

Useful thing at Battery Doctor is a sound notification when the charge is complete so you don't leave battery plugged for too long which is a good thing. I suggested that for Avast Battery Saver.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 04:46:08 PM »
I know that it can be done on a PC for sure. My Toshiba has a battery saver application which stops charging at 80%. Are you saying that Android API does not allow you to control that? I would love the app to stop charging the device at an optimal %.