Author Topic: JS:iframe-EPM [Trj]  (Read 9201 times)

Offline medvid

• Avast team
Re: JS:iframe-EPM [Trj]
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 11:03:21 PM »
Detection JS:Iframe-EPM [Trj] is correct. More info on https://blog.sucuri.net/2016/02/massive-admedia-iframe-javascript-infection.html

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 11:36:21 PM »
F-secure lab confirms detection

==============================================================================
The file you sent was found to be malicious.

We will be detecting the sample you submitted as Trojan.Crypt.OA in the next database update.
==============================================================================

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 01:18:49 AM »
Detection JS:Iframe-EPM [Trj] is correct. More info on https://blog.sucuri.net/2016/02/massive-admedia-iframe-javascript-infection.html
So, what you're telling me is that this website link is proof that avast should not allow this .js Wordpress file to be on my computer because Wordpress is permitting a known hacked file to be part of their software?  Is my only solution to wait until Wordpress does something about it?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 01:24:27 AM »
This past weekend we registered a spike in WordPress infections where hackers injected encrypted code at the end of all legitimate .js files.
if you have a infected js file, replace it with a clean

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 01:34:49 AM »
Thanks for this question as it provides more insight to what I have suspected is going on than the answers so far.  I also need assistance with this new problem from the last update.  Avast won't allow me to proceed on a website I've used easily in the past that I upload my invoices to.  I've tried both Chrome & Firefox and Avast has taken away my auto-login to this page (http://intranet.manascisaac.com/) and I find this totally unacceptable.  When did the software not allow the user the option to quarantine or permit?

@russ18:

This is my first foray into AV software forums, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  I think threads like this seem to be less about customer service and getting one's own questions answered by experts, and more about info-gathering and -sharing between the AVAST team and other subject matter experts.  Which is fine with me, now that I get it.

Also, I have to keep in mind that my product is AVAST FREE ... that is, it's free.  So I guess I don't have much of a right to complain if it doesn't have all the features I'd like it to.  It does make me wonder, tho, whether functions like the ones you mention -- prompting for and permitting exceptions rather than auto-blocking, and quarantining rather than deleting -- are features of the paid-for AVAST product.  I'd hope they were.  I'd also like to have more insight as to what is identified during scans; I configured mine to save the scan logs to a named file, but after scanning I wasn't able to find it (and I searched very aggressively).  Maybe this, too, is a feature of the upgrade product.

That said, it's fascinating to follow the links provided by these guys in their back-and-forthing.  Kind of like listening in on air traffic control channels.

My own, ignorant interpretation is that javascript seems to be a sort of embedded macro in web pages that calls for content in an active way (and not just as a static placeholder) and creates, if not managed carefully, a vulnerability; perhaps it can be made to call for the wrong content or divert user inputs or something like that.  Could be that the "out-of-date" JS here complained of hasn't been patched/protected, so these guys opt in favor of blocking web pages (or page components) that still contain the vulnerability.  My take on the latest salvo is that there's a major exploit of this vulnerability just now emerging on WordPress sites ... which would seem to suggest that their concerns are well-founded.  But that's just me reading between the lines.

Also, it seems to me that Pondus -- who actually did reply to your question (thumbs up) -- never sleeps.  Although I don't think he/she's actually a Bot.  :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 01:42:44 AM »
Also, I have to keep in mind that my product is AVAST FREE ... that is, it's free.  So I guess I don't have much of a right to complain if it doesn't have all the features I'd like it to.  It does make me wonder, tho, whether functions like the ones you mention -- prompting for and permitting exceptions rather than auto-blocking, and quarantining rather than deleting -- are features of the paid-for AVAST product.
Your antiviru will save you from malicious websites, but it will not clean it. The website owner/manager have to do that

Also, it seems to me that Pondus -- who actually did reply to your question (thumbs up) -- never sleeps.  Although I don't think he/she's actually a Bot.
I am about to go now   ;D