Author Topic: how i can uninstall Avast SafeZone Browser  (Read 46957 times)

REDACTED

Re: how i can uninstall Avast SafeZone Browser
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 06:41:09 PM »
Hey Tariq6.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I too was not clear what or which control panel the moderator's instructions referred to.  Your second post cleared up the inadequate moderator response. Thank you for your explanation.  It did not feel dumbed down or insulting either.  Even the newbie that I am could have done a better explanation than the Avast moderator. 

As for EULA permissions, if Avast business model EULA has become it's prime source of marketing new service, they will continue to slide down the mainstream AV choice list and up the commercial product cracker food chain.
As for rude forum moderator(s).  This is symptom of declining business model.  Any lack of oversight on the business marks an exploitable advantage to it's competitors.   
That particular moderator has no place criticizing a user's post, personally or otherwise. The fact that he/she would do so disqualifies them as a moderator in any forum, let alone a business.

You sir, did a fabulous job.

RJD

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 07:44:49 PM »
<snip>

As for rude forum moderator(s).  This is symptom of declining business model.  Any lack of oversight on the business marks an exploitable advantage to it's competitors.   

That particular moderator has no place criticizing a user's post, personally or otherwise. The fact that he/she would do so disqualifies them as a moderator in any forum, let alone a business.
<snip>

Only one moderator an Avast Team member has replied in this topic 'ondrejz'

Other than ondrejz no moderators replied in this topic (moderators are avast team members) generally you will see moderators assigned to a forum at the top of the forum list.

The remainder of respondents have been avast users like yourself
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline neophil78

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 09:31:04 PM »
1°) I'd like to know also how to delete files and Registry keys that are remaining after having opt out the SafeZone Browser ??  >:(

PC (Win 7 Pro 64 bits french) tells me i've not rights do do so even if i have an administrator level

2°) I also want to know HOW this SafeZone Browser installed on his on without explicit permission TODAY as there was not a new built of Avast for update, and that i'm with the V 11.1.2253 till the 2nd February 2016
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:27:31 PM by neophil78 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 10:25:08 PM »
Removing the SafeZone Browser as outlined above should also remove the registry keys, but it rather depends on what those keys are.

There are Legacy registry keys that are created by the OS and they have ownership (as you are possibly finding) and in due course the OS should remove them.

The other thing the avast self-defence module would I guess be trying to protect avast entries, etc. (avastUI settings > troubleshooting > Enable Avast self-defence module).  But I believe that should a different sort of error message than a registry permissions notification.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 03:31:03 AM »
I was somewhat surprised when the Avast SafeZone Browser just auto-installed on my PC upon an update I did.

I feel flattered to have been chosen to test this browser, but for God's sake, ask first if you must force this software upon them without their permission! Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:46:25 AM by DocCovington »

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 03:48:02 AM »
There is no need to shout.
Just asking in a normal way would do on this webboard.

It happened with your permission.
You installed avast and by doing so, you agreed to the eula/terms.

You can add/remove avast components through the control panel > software > avast > change

I have read through the terms and conditions and you have clearly broken them.

Offline neophil78

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 07:25:14 PM »
Apart from uninstallation of this Safezone Browser, how to unable on other PC's with Avast free edition  this installation, if not already done ??

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 07:44:02 PM »
You can't prevent it from being installed.
For that, avast has to change things.

For now the only thing you can do if you do not want the SafeZone Browser is uninstalling it.

Offline neophil78

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 11:04:11 PM »
You can't prevent it from being installed.
For that, avast has to change things.

Hoping changes will be done on the Avast! Free Edition 11.2.2257  ::)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 11:14:33 PM »
As it looks now a update to 2257 will not change things since it is a update and those normally don't give the option to customize it.
A clean installation however will (or at least should) give the option for a customized installation.

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2016, 07:36:47 AM »
There is no need to shout.
Just asking in a normal way would do on this webboard.

It happened with your permission.
You installed avast and by doing so, you agreed to the eula/terms.

You can add/remove avast components through the control panel > software > avast > change

Let's make something ABUNDANTLY CLEAR:
I DID NOT GIVE AVAST PERMISSION TO INSTALL ANY SZ BROWSER, AND IT DID IT ON ITS OWN TODAY, AND YES I WILL SHOUT BECAUSE YOU ARE JUST WRONG AND ARROGANT.

That said, I had to find out how to uninstall it here, because even though it SHOULD BE POSSIBLE IN THE AVAST USER INTERFACE, YOU HAVE TO GO TO WINDOWS CONTROL PANEL AND CLICK UNINSTALL ON AVAST ITSELF, WITH NO IDEA OR INDICATION ANOTHER SEPARATE WINDOW WILL COME UP FOR COMPONENTS OF THE PROGRAM. THIS SHOULD BE IN THE MAIN USER INTERFACE, AND IT'S JUST TRICKERY AND DECEPTIVENESS TO INSTALL THIS WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE AND WITHOUT AT THE LEAST POPPING UP A WINDOW ASKING IF I WANT TO.

This is scourge. I have uninstalled it, but I never had it turned on in the first place. I'm infuriated at programs that would do this without any notification.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 02:46:41 PM »
Esiste un forum in italiano per questo argomento? Comunque...
Non so come sia successo ma avevo DUE copie di Avast SafeZone Browser ed ho eliminato la prima con la procedura descritta.
La seconda è ancora li e NON COMPARE in nessun modo per la disinstallazione!  >:( Come posso fare?
Non vi sembra che il mio spazio sull'HD sia esclusivamente MIO? Come mai installate del software SENZA preavviso?
Non vale dire che c'è nella EULA perché non vi sarebbe costato nulla dirci della novità DURANTE le scelte per l'aggiornamento! Sono solo scuse per un comportamento deprecabile!
Non capisco se sia peggio Microsoft o Avast!  :(
Attendo per una risposta su come disinstallare tutto!
---
Is there a forum in Italian for this topic? Anyway...
I don't know how it happened but I had TWO Avast SafeZone Browser copies installed and I deleted the first one with your procedure.
The second one is still there and DON'T APPEARES in any way for uninstall! > :( How can I do?
Don't you think that my HD space is only MY? Why you install software WITHOUT notice?
Not true to say that there is in the EULA because there would have cost nothing to you to tell us the news DURING the choices for the update! They are just excuses for a despicable behavior!
I do not understand whether it is worse than Microsoft or Avast! :(
I wait for an answer on how to uninstall everything!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 03:31:07 PM »
Look in the Italian forum Fulvio.

smtips
shouting makes you look like a 2 year old kid that doesn't get what it want.
You will not accomplish anything with it.
Besides that it is not required nor something that people appreciate on a (public) webboard.

By installing avast you have agreed to the license/terms.
One of them clearly says that avast can (and if they feel so) will install updates.
The SafeZone Browser is a update to the free avast application.
That means you gave permission.
And is I have said several times, I also don't appreciate the way they have done it.

As for the uninstall, it has been for many years that avast components can be installed/removed through the control panel and not through the UI.
Several months ago I already suggested to avast to create a option to install/remove components through the UI.
If they will add that option or not is up to them.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 08:23:29 PM »
thank you for the uninstall instructions

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 01:16:31 AM »
I would also like to thank the person who posted the uninstall instructions.. I was totally unaware that another box would pop up with the 'change' option on.
I think most people's problem is the way that Avast has introduced it's new browser.. it should have been made an option, with an introduction telling us what its features etc were and how it was better than the opposition. If you had done that, then I probably would have given it a fair crack of the whip.. but because you chose to slide it onto my pc via the back door with no notification whatsoever, it has been firmly placed in the recycle bin and that's where it will stay... and any future versions you choose to add will also end up there.
I have used Avast for quite a few years and have always been well pleased with it... this is a sad disappointment and not the behaviour I would have expected from a known and trusted company.. while I realise we have given permission by using Avast AV on our devices, you have to admit that a browser is NOT an antivirus program. I mean, using the proviso that we have given our permission, what are you going to add next? A keylogger program maybe.....? For our safety of course..! A tad extreme I know, but the point I'm making is that by doing this you're at risk of losing the trust of your customers..