Author Topic: System warnings appearing without any observable cause.  (Read 2976 times)

REDACTED

System warnings appearing without any observable cause.
« on: February 08, 2016, 07:48:58 PM »
For the last several months, Avast has persisted in displaying "Security Recommendations" for various uninstaller executable files.

The message always states that the file in question is being opened by C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe.

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to which uninstaller is involved.

What's more mysterious: The uninstaller is never being run when the message appears.

The OS is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, so Windows Defender is present, but I have it turned off.
I have a program that keeps a number of data folders synced with folders on a network drive, but they're not looking at the Windows folder or any of its contents.

There's no other backup process in use and I've set Action Center to turn off messages about setting up a backup schedule for the built-in program.

I looked through the task scheduler, but other than Defrag, I didn't find anything that ran on a regular basis.
In the case of Defrag, it's schedule showed it as inactive when the latest warning popped up.

I have System Restore turned off, so that wouldn't be a factor.

I can't think of any other process on the computer that scans files, particularly in the OS or program file folders.

I've attached a screen shot of the latest occurrence.

As always, any cogent thoughts on the issue are welcome.