Author Topic: Unable to use VT-x & nested pages in virtualization programs  (Read 3328 times)

REDACTED

Unable to use VT-x & nested pages in virtualization programs
« on: February 09, 2016, 07:24:54 PM »
Since latest avast update I'm unable to use my Oracle VirtualBOX with 64bit OSes
and all VT-x & Nested pages options are disabled; i can't use more then 1 CPU also; and I can emulate only 32bit OSes.

I can not emulate 64bit OS, getting error
VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
(VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED).

I suppose your new kernel mode driver is using VT-x and/or not allowing other software (such as VirtualBOX) to use hardware VT-x.

I had to uninstall avast internet security in order to be able to use properly VirtualBOX.

Can u add a switch in settings - somewhere - so that I can get use VT-x and avast at same time ?
Or can u provide a download link to a previous version of avast which hasn't got VT-x kernel stuff or whatever ?

PS: using Avast Internet Security on 64bit Win8.1 Pro ; it would seem that in 64bit win7 pro things work normally.
THX
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:54:27 PM by Mihai18 »

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Re: Unable to use VT-x & nested pages in virtualization programs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:21:07 PM »
Since latest avast update I'm unable to use my Oracle VirtualBOX with 64bit OSes
and all VT-x & Nested pages options are disabled; i can't use more then 1 CPU also; and I can emulate only 32bit OSes.

I can not emulate 64bit OS, getting error
VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
(VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED).

I suppose your new kernel mode driver is using VT-x and/or not allowing other software (such as VirtualBOX) to use hardware VT-x.

I had to uninstall avast internet security in order to be able to use properly VirtualBOX.

I have 5 paid Avast Internet Security Licenses, but frankly I am very disappointed by this issue.
Can u add a switch in settings - somewhere - so that I can get use VT-x and avast at same time ?
Or can u provide a download link to a previous version of avast which hasn't got VT-x kernel stuff or whatever ?

THX

Hi,

the issue will be solved very soon by update, as temporary workaround, please disable "hardware assisted virtualization" in troubleshooting settings. Reboot is required to apply the settings change.

sorry for your troubles

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:53:27 PM »
yes thx... this is the solution :) phew

thx again :)

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »
What a relief!

Suddenly my VMs were not starting anymore, VirtualBox saying "VT-x is disabled in the BIOS" (VERR_VMX_MSR_VMXON_DISABLED).

It took me 1+ hour until I found this thread with the solution (luckily posted yesterday).

I didn't imagine it was related to Avast upgrade.

Thank you.