Author Topic: Home Network Security problems  (Read 3105 times)

REDACTED

Home Network Security problems
« on: February 09, 2016, 08:37:50 PM »
I experienced the same issue that was supposedly resolved in the latest update but it's not for me. Same results as before the factory reset of my router & then changing passwords, etc. When I run "scan for network threats" I get the "your router has a weak password" warning. When clicking "show" both the user & password field appear blank. Also when I click details & scroll to bottom I get the following list:

1. Your router is infected (red circle)

Yellow circles for:
2 Your wireless network is not secure
3 Your network router is set to a weak password
4 Your network router is accessible from the internet
5 Your router is vulnerable to hacker attacks
6 Your network devices are not protected

As mentioned I have factory reset the router, changed the admin password (cannot change user name), changed wi-fi password, etc. Following the directions to fix each:

1 - Use a Dynamic DNS Service is unchecked & the router is set to have the ISP automatically get Internet IP & DNS Addresses
2 - WPA2-PSK [AES] enable with 15 digit randomized password
3 - Router admin password was changed after factory reset. Still a 20 digit randomized password.
4 - Remote management is not (nor ever was) enabled.
5 - Firmware is up to date. Ran rom-0 bug test came back "Address is probably not vulnerable"
6 - Says "Our scan has found your device is directly accessible from the Internet via IPv6 protocol". However factory settings have IPv6 disabled by default.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with this & finding no solutions (submitting a ticket hasn't worked either). I have also tried to "repair" avast before the factory reset with no success either. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Home Network Security problems
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:41:30 PM »
Hi,
to best help you with the detection, please record and send us (e.g. to my email address) the log files from HNS scan.

1. Enable Debug Logging in Settings/General/Maintenance - Enable Debug logging checkbox
2. Run HNS Scan
3. Zip and send me the contents of the log folder ("C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log")
 ( you can also run Avast Support tool to create a nice package with all the information - see here: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB33 )

alternatively you can also send just the following file: "C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\HnsStats.json.lzma" , it contains most of the important information related to the HNS scans.

We'll look into your logs with the team and let you know what HNS thinks located on your router.

Bye,
Lukas.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 11:08:41 PM »
....When I run "scan for network threats" I get the "your router has a weak password" warning. When clicking "show" both the user & password field appear blank.

I'm ALSO experiencing this same problem. I've changed both passwords several times and still get the same warning after running network scan!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:15:32 PM »
....When I run "scan for network threats" I get the "your router has a weak password" warning. When clicking "show" both the user & password field appear blank.

I'm ALSO experiencing this same problem. I've changed both passwords several times and still get the same warning after running network scan!
And you have of course followed Lukor's instructions