Author Topic: Not happy with Version 5.0.14-8866-574ea19  (Read 4617 times)

REDACTED

Not happy with Version 5.0.14-8866-574ea19
« on: February 12, 2016, 04:05:28 PM »
After the update, the newest Avast is a major step down from what I had before!   

The WIFI check keeps coming up and saying the WIFI may be dangerous, but I cannot tell this "newer and better" interface to either ONLY scan specific networks, or to stop the scanning because I have no control over the WIFIs in locations I visit!  BAD DECISION!

Next, I FINALLY found the Tools and went into the "Settings".  These settings are almost useless!  I can only turn things on and off, not actually configure things like notification.

Case in point!  I am running call blocker.  PREVIOUSLY when a call came in it was silently blocked--as I wished to have happen.  NOW, the screen blinks as the call shows up and is THEN blocked, there is a notification sound that is played, and a notification is put on the front screen!  REALLY, I simply want the calls blocked SILENTLY!  BTW, one "blocked" phone number has call my cell 7 times this morning and I am getting notified on each time!  Not what I want in a "call blocker"!

The "dumbing down" of the Avast Mobile interface does NOTHING to make me WANT to subscribe to other "premium" services!  Indeed, it is actually causing me to take part of my weekend and look to see what else is on the market to do what it is I want!

So, WHAT is Avast going to do to "fix" all these dumb downed "enhancements"?

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Not happy with Version 5.0.14-8866-574ea19
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 07:51:14 PM »
Hi gguldens56, one after another:
- sorry for the inconvenience with the wifi - we are working on it at the moment
- one of the main aims for the new version was to make the app simpler, more user-friendly
- good point with the Call Blocker - I will forward it to the developers
- sorry you do not like the new design, we made our best to keep up with the trends and material design introduced in Android Lollipop. As far as I know, we are not going to change it any time soon. However, even if you decide to keep the app, you do not need to pay for any Premium services - most of our apps are free (including the Avast Mobile Security 5.0).

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 11:51:36 PM »
we are not going to change it any time soon.

That is really sad to hear. Avast have taken what was the most trusted Mobile AV app and ruined it, along with their reputation. And now that AMS5 is Adware, the company is little more than a joke when you remember what Avast was first started for, when securing devices was their prime directive rather than greed and revenue as it is now. What happened?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 07:55:04 AM »
I think it's a case that, for now at least, Avast Mobile as we know it RIP. :(

Like their useless app, Avast have also become a laughable cartoon of themselves. I can no longer take them seriously or trust them with my devices if AMS5 is a fair representation of their evolution at this time. Other than for the greedy revenue grab, I still don't understand why they killed the old app. They could have charged us 99 cents for the app and they would have made a killing if so many millions of folks have really downloaded it like they say. Someone with no business management skills must be running the company now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:56:49 AM by Erebus »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 05:50:42 AM »
"As far as I know, we are not going to change it any time soon."

Well as far as I know, then it's time to dump AVAST from all of my devices.

I am constantly getting notified that my home networks "may be dangerous".  The same for several other trusted networks that I use.  My home network is encrypted, AND has a very strong password attached to it.

Your settings on the android version of your app are USELESS and are apparently designed for people with zero understand of how computers work. 

You use to have a great app. .  Now your "new and improved" UI  is just "Dumb and Dumber".

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:54:11 AM by wvojak »

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 09:29:12 PM »
Hi, thanks for your opinion.
Solution for the "wifi may be dangerous" notification has been included in the latest update, which should roll out to 100% by the end of next week.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 07:35:18 AM »
I was most upset with Avast scanning my secured WIFI and coming up with a warning which wanted me do download and pay for a different app. I eventually and accidently found a way to mark the WIFI as safe - which it is. Why did you make this so difficult? I was very tempted to uninstall your app and will remain wary in the future. . Luckily I am tech savvy enough to know this was a false alert. How many of the population are at my level? I will not now recommend your app.

Offline hermansky

• Avast team
  • Product Manager - VPNs
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 12:30:46 PM »
Hi gguldens56 and others,
please let me explain all things one by one:

After the update, the newest Avast is a major step down from what I had before! Sorry to hear that! We want to simplify the app's user interface while simultaneously setting a new standard for aesthetic app design. We offer the same protection as before, but now, the app is much more easy to use. We changed also business model  - many security products can cost you a fortune, but we've provided ours completely free of charge. In exchange for our free protection, it's necessary for us to display some ads or suggestions to you within the app. We always try our best to accomplish this in the most non-intrusive manner possible. But delivering security protection is still our priority #1.

The WIFI check keeps coming up and saying the WIFI may be dangerous, but I cannot tell this "newer and better" interface to either ONLY scan specific networks, or to stop the scanning because I have no control over the WIFIs in locations I visit!  BAD DECISION!Please try to update to our latest Beta version (https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.avast.android.mobilesecurity). This issue should be solved here, you can also control or disable this notification if you don't want to be notified about potential threats.

Next, I FINALLY found the Tools and went into the "Settings".  These settings are almost useless!  I can only turn things on and off, not actually configure things like notification.
Same as above, we added more settings (Settings => Notifications), where you can set conditions and features you want to be notified about.

Case in point!  I am running call blocker.  PREVIOUSLY when a call came in it was silently blocked--as I wished to have happen.  NOW, the screen blinks as the call shows up and is THEN blocked, there is a notification sound that is played, and a notification is put on the front screen!  REALLY, I simply want the calls blocked SILENTLY!  BTW, one "blocked" phone number has call my cell 7 times this morning and I am getting notified on each time!  Not what I want in a "call blocker"!
This is really strange, because we haven't changed logic or implementation of Call Blocker. Could you share with me more information, like device, android version, etc.?