Author Topic: Scan progress bar is inaccurate  (Read 1706 times)

REDACTED

Scan progress bar is inaccurate
« on: February 13, 2016, 01:31:15 AM »
Hi, I am using Avast (free version) on my iMac. When the Avast scan starts, it progresses rapidly but, after 85 or 90%, the progress bar slows down a lot, and after 90%, it get stuck there and would stay at 91% for a long, long time. The scanning of files continus at a rapid pace, even at 91%. It seems like the application can't evaluate the number of files to scan, and the progress bar is really inaccurate. It is not a disk speed issue because I have solid state storage. It is not because the CPU is too busy because Avast can have all the CPU that it wants. So, what is happening? Thanks.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Scan progress bar is inaccurate
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 03:25:03 AM »
This happens with may applications and even the OS X finder on file copy operations. Basically its scanning larger files so each file scanned is counting toward the progress, but in the end each file is much smaller and the throughput is less (say in MB/sec scanned).

If you have seen a Windows 8.x/10 machine and its file copy progress bar/graph it illustrates this very well.

In the end it is a moot point, not many people actively watch the scanner progress when scanning the whole disk

Cheers,
Mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay