Author Topic: Latest version of Avast hangs machine - please help!  (Read 3177 times)

Alias

Latest version of Avast hangs machine - please help!
« on: December 28, 2005, 03:03:37 PM »
I just re-installed Windows XP on my secondary machine, then installed all of my other software and finally the latest version of Avast Home - 4.6.

So then I rebooted, logged on, the Avast blue ball icon pops up in the system tray with a circle with a line through it in the corner. Then the computer freezes. I rebooted and opened up Task Manager with Control-Alt-Delete and ashServ.exe is using 99% CPU and I can't stop it.

I don't really want to re-install Windows, so what can I do?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Latest version of Avast hangs machine - please help!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 05:13:58 PM »
Does it stay @ 99% CPU? How long? Is the blue ball icon spinning?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ic3be4r

Re: Latest version of Avast hangs machine - please help!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 09:37:26 AM »
Hi there,

I'm using avast since several month.. a few days ago I had to reinstall my system and of cause I also reinstalled Avast (this time the new Home 4.6.744). But now I have the same problem as the noe that startet this thead. As soon as I start Trillian or iTunes (no Problem with Winamp or some other tools, yet) the ashServ.exe captures abaout 99% of the CPU-power and keeps it.

Another time it caputered the complete CPU-Power only every 10 min so hart, that every other tast stopped some seconds (even winamp, iTunes, gimp... every!)

For information, I'm using an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ with 512MB Ram on WinXP-SP2.

Is it a bug of the new avast version? I first thought its a problem with the instantmessage-scanner of Avast, but even after deaktivating it, the problem remanes.

Sorry for just adding me in this thread, but the on that startet it had the same prob, i guess.