Author Topic: ashServ.exe cause 100% CPU Usage  (Read 84310 times)

leungkm

ashServ.exe cause 100% CPU Usage
« on: December 29, 2005, 11:35:30 AM »
HELP!!!!!  :'( :'(

I am using the updated avast! 4.6 Home.
How can I solve the problem of ashServ.exe running in 99% CPU usage?
I take about 30 minutes to open Explorer window.

I am using AMD 1GHz.
256MB RAM
Windows XP
60GB Hard Disk

Thank you very much.

Zagor

Re: ashServ.exe cause 100% CPU Usage
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 01:55:59 PM »
Hi and welcome,

Can you check the sensitivity of Standard Sheild Provider, it should be set to normal.
maybe you have set it to high? This is often cause for similar problems.

Left click the avast icon in the sysem tray, choose the Standard Sheild and set -> Normal.

Zagor
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 02:00:01 PM by Zagor »

leungkm

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 02:04:27 PM »
Is it the only reason?
 ??? ??? ???

Zagor

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 02:19:21 PM »
This could be one.

Have you tried it? If it is happening than you can check which files are scaned and probably are causing the problem.

Check in Task Manager which files are scaned. If those are some files that are not suspicious to you, you can set avast to ignore them in future scans.

Try, if it does not work, return here and I will sugest something more.

Zagor

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 02:24:53 PM »
Sorrry my mistake.  :-\
Don't look in task manager.
Left click the avast icon in the tray, check beside the Standard Shield what files are scanned when CPU is high.

leungkm

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 04:35:00 AM »
It solved. ;D ;D

Thank you very very much.

Zagor

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 01:37:48 PM »
You are very very welcome  ;D

Fell free to return to the forum at any time  ;)

P.S. Just curious, was there a particular file or archive that was causing the problem?

Please if you have the time you can try one more thing.

In the Standard Shield's settings, turn on the "Show detailed info on performed action" option (it's on the Advanced page) and move the sensitivity slider to High.

Then perform the scan once more - and tell me what file(s) avast is scanning (there should be a popup window displayed in the bottom-right corner of the window showing this information).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 01:52:52 PM by Zagor »

Aragril

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 11:30:23 AM »
maybe I'm not up to date here but I had this problem just now, it was because I refused a restart after having downloaded a random update avast! wanted... so this could be a potential bug? I mean, it shouldn't do that...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 01:50:07 PM »
Hi Aragril,

and welcome to the avast forum.

What makes you think that the problem was related to the fact that you have not rebooted even though avast asked you to do so? I mean, it sounds quite unlikely that these two events would actually be related...

The 100% CPU usage can be caused by a number of factors. The principal question always is: "is the avast tray icon (the (a) ball) spinning or not?" If it's spinning, it means avast is scanning something and it's usually quite easy to find the cause (and a remedy).

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 02:00:27 PM »
It will be good, also, if Aragril give us some more info:
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

Distortion

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 02:59:23 PM »
I have the same problem with ashServ.exe

I'm using avast but dont know who to delete that virus!

Anyone can help?

Pravus

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 12:49:31 AM »
I am having the same problem only it is set on normal, also I disabled it and it still is eating any free CPU power it can.. I have V4.8.1229.. The only fix I have so far is reset my computer then it'll slowly work it's way back to eating the CPU again, but thats not really a fix..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 12:25:46 PM »
The guidelines for solving of the problem "ashServ.exe using too much CPU" has always been the same:

1. Check if the avast tray icon is spinning (while CPU usage is high)
2. If it is, click it (wait for the dialog box to open), and check which file is being scanned (the Last Scanned field); the Scanned Count value should be increasing (spinning icon means a scan is in progress)
3. Find out which of the providers is scanning the file (click "Details" button and check out the Last Scanned value for each of the providers). The most common providers that may cause this are Standard Shield, P2P Shield and IM Shield.
The best things in life are free.

Offline hunter33

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 06:38:52 AM »
The guidelines for solving of the problem "ashServ.exe using too much CPU" has always been the same:

1. Check if the avast tray icon is spinning (while CPU usage is high)
2. If it is, click it (wait for the dialog box to open), and check which file is being scanned (the Last Scanned field); the Scanned Count value should be increasing (spinning icon means a scan is in progress)
3. Find out which of the providers is scanning the file (click "Details" button and check out the Last Scanned value for each of the providers). The most common providers that may cause this are Standard Shield, P2P Shield and IM Shield.

I found this thread by googling because I had the same problem with the 100% CPU. I am confused about why you are only giving a solution for "if the icon is spinning". Mine wasn't/isn't spinning with this problem, and I didn't see that the OP had a spinning icon either.
What is the procedure when the icon ISN'T spinning? And what is the cause of the 100% CPU useage?
Thanks

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Were there a simple "here is the answer" solution to the problem you are experiencing (that is fortunately rare among avast users) then there would be posted in this thread that simple solution answering your question.

Perhaps you would be willing to take the time to answer the earlier series of questions posed in this thread by Tech (reply #9) that may assist us to help you to a solution.