Author Topic: how to stop <iframe> warnings  (Read 11038 times)

hadley

how to stop <iframe> warnings
« on: November 28, 2003, 11:34:06 PM »
I see that this topic came up in a couple other threads, but I didn't see an answer: How can I configure Avast to automatically delete any suspect <iframe> messages? (I.e., I don't want the warning box -- I just want those emails with <iframe> to be trashed.)

I own the Pro version, but can't find anything in Avast's settings about this. It's annoying as heck -- I'm getting 10 to 20 <iframe> warnings a day -- and I've not received an answer from Avast tech support in the week since I sent them an email query.

Thanks for any help you can give...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:how to stop <iframe> warnings
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 01:57:10 AM »
You can deactivate the [iframe] option here: Right click the 'a' blue icon on the System Tray > On-Access Protection Control > Internet Mail > Heuristic (unmark the HTML part check)

I think if you deactivate it in the Resident you will receive the email 'without' avast! checking. If you want to 'automatically delete' infected emails, you must let that options on and configure your tasks at Enhanced User Interface. See 'Virus' Page at Resident Task under Internet Mail and choose the action 'Delete'.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

hadley

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 02:22:49 AM »
I want Avast to check for <iframe>, but I don't want it to give me a warning every time it finds one.

I already have Avast tasks set to automatically delete viruses, and it is doing that just fine -- but it appears to me that Avast doesn't include <iframe> in the category of virus.

I.e., I believe if I do what you suggest -- uncheck the <iframe> option under Advanced Heuristics -- Avast will no longer check for <iframe> tags at all -- it will simply ignore them, and therefore not delete those emails that contain them.

Am I missing something here?

Btw, I'm using Outlook 2002, so that's where I've got my configurations set, as well as Internet Mail and Standard Shield.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 02:25:42 AM »
I want Avast to check for <iframe>, but I don't want it to give me a warning every time it finds one.

I already have Avast tasks set to automatically delete viruses, and it is doing that just fine -- but it appears to me that Avast doesn't include <iframe> in the category of virus.

I.e., I believe if I do what you suggest -- uncheck the <iframe> option under Advanced Heuristics -- Avast will no longer check for <iframe> tags at all -- it will simply ignore them, and therefore not delete those emails that contain them.

Probably not. You seem to be correct  :-\

Btw, I'm using Outlook 2002, so that's where I've got my configurations set, as well as Internet Mail and Standard Shield.

Maybe you have to configure the Outlook/Exchange provider too  8)

hadley

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 02:47:01 AM »
Maybe you have to configure the Outlook/Exchange provider too
I don't understand...

What about using Avast's Silent Mode with default to Yes -- would that accomplish what I want to do?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 03:08:25 AM »
Maybe you have to configure the Outlook/Exchange provider too
I don't understand...

What about using Avast's Silent Mode with default to Yes -- would that accomplish what I want to do?

I'm talking about the Outlook/Exchange resident provider. I suppose you have said that use Outlook (not Express).

Where are you when talking about 'Silent Mode'? Are you on the Advanced settings of Standard Shield?

hadley

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 03:45:36 AM »
When editing Tasks | Resident Protection,
I've found "Silent Mode" settings under -->

Internet Mail | Advanced

and -->

Standard Shield | Advanced

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 03:55:11 AM »
When editing Tasks | Resident Protection,
I've found "Silent Mode" settings under -->

Internet Mail | Advanced

and -->

Standard Shield | Advanced

Ok, but I thought you must have something for Oulook 2002 (not Express). This is a plugin and you must have some place to configure it (See that there is no such a 'Silent Mode' for Outlook...). Do you activate the option 'Show detailed information on performed action'? ;)

Sorry if I can't help you so much, becouse I use OE and not Outlook  ::)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 02:02:19 PM »
hadley, sorry for the confusion. Indeed such a feature is currently missing from avast (possibly because we initially thought that unconditionally deleting all such mails would be quite a dangerous thing as there's a number of legal mails with iframes in them (e.g. all the Tucows, CNet and other newsletters have iframes - you know, the ads... :-\))....

But you're right that such a feature should be there, and that's why we're planning to add it in one of the upcoming avast updates...

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 08:43:48 PM »
hadley, sorry for the confusion. Indeed such a feature is currently missing from avast (possibly because we initially thought that unconditionally deleting all such mails would be quite a dangerous thing as there's a number of legal mails with iframes in them (e.g. all the Tucows, CNet and other newsletters have iframes - you know, the ads... :-\))....

But you're right that such a feature should be there, and that's why we're planning to add it in one of the upcoming avast updates...

Hope this helps,
Vlk

As usual, Vlk, try to make a good documentation of it, at least, in Help files. And, please, do not forget to put this option in the GUI settings of the resident providers... It useful either not automatically delete all emails...  ;)

rexdal

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2003, 08:44:49 PM »

Probably not. You seem to be correct  :-\

Maybe you have to configure the Outlook/Exchange provider too  8)

Oh Now Technical my problems raises its ugly head on someones Else's PC
   now I am worried again - I went as directed into the heuristics and unchecked the "remote<iframe> and since have not had any warnings to my joy
  But by reading this new forum users questions it seems it might not be such a good idea to have stopped my avast from checking all remote <iframes> can you please tell me on what scale the danger lies with this <iframe> is it known to carry viruses , also every mail that came in with it as a warning was from a known /friend addy -and again when I let them in they all read "clean message"

what do you suggest should i put it back on and just go through this daily "delete" or approve when i see the user

thanks again ........
Rick

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2003, 09:04:05 PM »
I'm not sure about the danger of the iframes... Anyway, this is a way of infection... I receive very few emails with them (I remember PC World Reviews have them)... If you want protection, stay with the Heuristic iframe on and add each the URL to permitted ones... Wait for the new feature promised by Vlk.

If you cannot stand to add each URL, so deactivate the iframe and be a little less protected...  8)

rexdal

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2003, 09:22:55 PM »
I'm not sure about the danger of the iframes... Anyway, this is a way of infection... I receive very few emails with them (I remember PC World Reviews have them)... If you want protection, stay with the Heuristic iframe on and add each the URL to permitted ones... Wait for the new feature promised by Vlk.

If you cannot stand to add each URL, so deactivate the iframe and be a little less protected...  8)

as always a polite and insightful answer !!!!!!
  though I would have much rather you made the choice for me ;D
      But that was the answer i was looking for I can add them as "permitted urls" from the people I know ??
             as i said I never received one from an outside source , though a screen all my mail using Eprompter (an A+ utility) that allow you to see all the mails on your accounts while still on their servers and I delete them (spam etc) from there

thanks again
Rick

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2003, 11:08:57 PM »

as always a polite and insightful answer !!!!!!
though I would have much rather you made the choice for me ;D
But that was the answer i was looking for I can add them as "permitted urls" from the people I know ??
as i said I never received one from an outside source , though a screen all my mail using Eprompter (an A+ utility) that allow you to see all the mails on your accounts while still on their servers and I delete them (spam etc) from there

thanks again
Rick

Yes, you can add your friends to "permitted urls". But, most of your friends, won't send you HTML email files with remote iframes... This is most used by newsletters and alert emails. You can add every url you trust (for instante, I trust in PC World and add it). The iframe is an heuristic feature, not a deterministic one, I mean, detects souspiciuos things (sometimes true ones but sometimes not).  ;)

With ePrompter, you'll be safe deleting the emails before downloading them.

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2003, 04:56:05 PM »
I'm not sure about the danger of the iframes... Anyway, this is a way of infection...

Technical,
kindly read this page JS.Flea.B
MW