Author Topic: aswRdr Problem?  (Read 4701 times)

wendy k. walker

aswRdr Problem?
« on: December 30, 2005, 05:58:46 AM »
Hi Everyone, I'm not sure what I have here, but it has something to do with aswRdr.

I found an entry in my device manager under the heading of "Other Devices." There is a grate big yellow "?" in front of the file name aswRdr.

I know that a couple of things aren't right with that. First aswRdr is not a device, at least I don't think it is, and second if there is a big yellow "?" in front of anything in the device manager, then that means that something is wrong with it.

So, what do I do to fix aswRdr? Do I need to un-install it from within the device manager, and then reinstall it?

If so how do I find it to reinstall it?

Happy New Years to All Of You!
Wendy

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: aswRdr Problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 09:32:08 AM »
What operating system are you using?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 06:52:44 AM »
Hi Vlk, Thanks for the response. I'm using Windows XP Home edition with SP 2 installed.

Thanks, Wendy

wendy k. walker

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 09:00:39 PM »
Hi Vlk, did you forget about me, or have you guys just been busy?
♥ Wendy

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 11:35:14 PM »
1. What happens if you double-click the entry in the Device Manager? What does it say about the status of the "device"?

2. Can you work with the Windows Registry editor? If so, can you have a look at this reg key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\aswRdr - and send a screenshot of the window (with the key values visible)?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 11:14:53 PM »
Hi Vlk, Thanks for the reply. When I checked it out it told me that there was no driver installed for the device.

If you can tell me how to get into the right spot in registry editor I can take a look, but all I could find were the HKEY things, and I didn't see any that were HKLM.

What would happen if I just deleted that entry out of the device manager? Would it affect the way that Avast! works?

Thanks, Wendy