Author Topic: New Version seems to break BFE and Win Firewall, circumstances not clear  (Read 11222 times)

REDACTED

I can confirm that updating the iastor/iaahci driver from 11.6.0.1030 to 11.7.0.1013 resolves the issue. BFE starting again, Firewall fine, Machine pingable from DC, everyone happy.
Board is some Intel Desktop BH61XX. Even though this resolves the issue in at least one PC so far other PCs with the exact same setup and hardware never showed the issue. Strange Things happening.  8)

Regards
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:38:09 PM by IT-House »

REDACTED

I can confirm that updating the iastor/iaahci driver from 11.6.0.1030 to 11.7.0.1013 resolves the issue. BFE starting again, Firewall fine, Machine pingable from DC, everyone happy.
Board is some Intel Desktop BH61XX. Even though this resolves the issue in at least one PC so far other PCs with the exact same setup and hardware never showed the issue. Strange Things happening.  8)

Regards
But then again after the next reboot the issue reoccurs  >:(. So .... at least this maybe helps the devs in searching for the reason? Couldn't try updating the Network Dirvers yet because I'm Offsite and tinkering with network drivers remotely tends to not be a good idea.

Regards

REDACTED

Last time I wrote I said I had not experienced this issue.  But late last week a user called to say they couldn't access server files and I couldn't RDP the desktop or connect via Computer Management snap-in.  Turned out to be this issue which the user had not reported until now.  After this fix, I haven't been back to check it was still working, but I will.  Here is my experience:

• Uninstalling via add/remove programs cleanly failed.  Seemed to be stuck contacting AVAST to notify the cloud and locked the machine up
  • Power cycled the box and Rebooted into safe mode and ran avastclear.exe to completely remove the product
  • Deleted the host from the cloud
  • Rebooted and ran the online installer for v11
  • Online installer failed to finish, sticking at installing services
  • Rebooted into safe mode and ran avastclear.exe to completely remove the product
  • Rebooted and ran the offline (full) installer v11 which was successful

It seemed to be OK after that even after a couple of reboots; again I need to verify now a few days have passed, and double-check other machines can be remotedly managed via Computer Management (there might be one that gets rare use and hasn't been reported).

So if you have not tried already, try a safe-mode cleanup with https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and install fresh using the full offline installer download of v11, not a online installer and not a in-product program update from v10.

REDACTED

@aaronjstpierre and @jbaldwin

When you say "reinstall" are you saying wipe and reinstall Windows solves it, or just reinstall of Avast? 

If just Avast, sounds like you had different issues to @IT-House who said Avast reinstall did not resolve.

I reinstalled avast and like others have reported it's not a fix as it does seem to return after a few days. It just so happened that when I wrote the post the uninstall reinstall appeared to fix the problem.

REDACTED

I reinstalled avast and like others have reported it's not a fix as it does seem to return after a few days. It just so happened that when I wrote the post the uninstall reinstall appeared to fix the problem.

Could you show your steps?  I only had one PC with this issue to test with, and maybe it wasn't the same issue as this thread.  7 days later and regular reboots, my PC is still ok using the steps I showed.  I think a safe-mode avastclear.exe before an offline installer might be important.

REDACTED

Finally after some days accepting status quo I found some time to thoroughly examine that thing again. Last time I was stuck at the point of updating the network driver by uninstalling the old one first, forced so by the Intel-Network-Software (which, guess what, didn't work in my case remotely  :P) - however I did revisit the fact that updating Rapid-Store-Software did the trick at least till reboot.

Now next step, as this software is pretty much not so useful (ain't it?), on an ordinary Workstation I tried uninstalling and this finally resolves the issue on all workstations in question so far.

Also my impression is, as other issues are already addressed with hotfixes this particular one, should one be hit by it, will not be recolved too soon as it maybe is too seldom and there is some probability that this is simply the shitty intel drivers or whatever? I got no definite response in this tickets and I don't know but now it's also not important anymore.

Also: it seems the RST-Software only interferes with Avast if a 32bit RST-Software is installed on a 64bit system.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:06:50 PM by IT-House »

REDACTED

Now next step, as this software is pretty much not so useful (ain't it?), on an ordinary Workstation I tried uninstalling and this finally resolves the issue on all workstations in question so far.

Also: it seems the RST-Software only interferes with Avast if a 32bit RST-Software is installed on a 64bit system.

You're right, RST probably doesn't have a lot of advantage over the Windows 7 driver in pure AHCI mode for an office-class desktop.  It is needed for chipset-RAID configs and other RST features obviously, and offers (supposedly) better AHCI performance, but nothing wrong with the basic Windows 7 AHCI driver otherwise.  For your chipset, I think you are supported up to RST 12.9 so you could try that if you wanted to find the download and needed RST.

As for 32/64 bit...  Its probable that the GUI software only comes built as 32-bit regardless of architecture, meaning you'd have no choice.   ;)   The drivers would be 64-bit though.  I'm inclined to think a conflict is a symptom of the 11.7 and lower RST (support for certain chipsets was dropped in later releases making for a more stable driver).

And yes, on my suspect PC I have and still use RST 13.1, so I expect I had a fault not related to this thread.