Author Topic: How do I whitelist (stop avast from blocking) a particular website?  (Read 10557 times)

REDACTED

Re: How do I whitelist (stop avast from blocking) a particular website?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »
Not sure why you need a screenshot but fair enough (p.s. why can I not upload bmp? oh well.)

The URL:Mal, is usually an indication that either the domain name or the IP address it is linked to is blacklisted.

It is possible if it is being redirected to an infected site (given essexboy's post and image) or there are multiple domain names associated with the IP address and some of them are infected, resulting the IP being blacklisted.

Sucuri comes up clean, https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/www.ocf.org#sitecheck-results as does URL Void http://www.urlvoid.com/scan/ocf.org/ and UrlQuery  http://urlquery.net/report.php?id=1456162176390

So as essexboy mentions this needs investigating by avast.

EDIT: I get the same alert (image) that you posted not the same as essexboy's image.
Thanks for the info.

I am not so surpirsed that avast finds it to be a virus site, since falshe positives are a natural occurance with antivirus software of any type (from my very limited understanding of these things). But what I am more curious about is why I can not whitelist it... very strange.

Is anyone else having the same issue with the "exceptions"?
Cheers.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »
I don't know why you can't whitelist it, not sure why it isn't working for you (or working completely for me).

I set the hXXp://ocf.org/* in the web shield exclusions, and it does stop the alert as such, but now I get a different one (see attached) with the only option being 'Get me out of here.'

So it is sort of half working.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 08:45:40 PM »
may he need to reboot after adding to whitelist?

I am not so surpirsed that avast finds it to be a virus site, since falshe positives are a natural occurance with antivirus software of any type
Blacklisting is not added by a signature. Malicious activity has been seen from that URL or IP and added

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:50:07 PM by Pondus »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 08:48:04 PM »
may he need to reboot after adding to whitelist?

I don't think it needs a boot, just stopping and restarting the web shield should do it as it did in the test I did.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 10:43:09 AM »
Neither restarting the webshield nor rebooting Windows seems to work.. :/ rather weird to be honest.

Btw I wanted to take a second to thank everyone here who have been helping thus far. You guys rock :).

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 01:09:51 PM »
Hello,
domain was unblocked. Regarding exclusions: htxp://www.ocf.org/* is not the same as htxp://ocf.org/* (from the screenshots I saw here as exclusion and alert from avast).

Milos

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 03:38:28 PM »
Hello,
domain was unblocked. Regarding exclusions: htxp://www.ocf.org/* is not the same as htxp://ocf.org/* (from the screenshots I saw here as exclusion and alert from avast).

Milos

If you see from my Reply #16 and image - that is exactly what I entered in the web shield - that stopped the initial avast alert (as shown in the OPs post Reply #9). However, it threw up a supplemental block, greying (superimposing) out the screen and displaying a warning.

Essentially, even with a valid exclusion set, there was no way to access the site at that time.

EDIT: was this supplemental warning from the AOS ?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:40:05 PM by DavidR »

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 11:38:38 PM »
Hello,

Milos

That did it.

>:( Such a dumb mistake from me... but thanks for pointing it out  ;D.

Anyway, cheers.