Author Topic: Safe to delete old Avast files?  (Read 2060 times)

REDACTED

Safe to delete old Avast files?
« on: March 01, 2016, 03:22:48 AM »
I am using a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.11.3

Around a year or more ago I installed the free version of Avast for virus protection.

Subsequently, some sort of VPN software was installed on my MBP.  I did not make the installation that I can recall as I have no interest in VPN.

I used the Avast uninstall process to remove both.  I do not intend to use Avast products.

After the uninstall, I found some older Avast files remaining on my MBP.  I want to remove them but am unsure if that can cause me problems.  I welcome advice on deleting these items.

The files left behind are found in user library, CACHES and APPLICATION SUPPORT.  See the attached images.

The only other security software I have is a free version of Malwarebytes.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:42:11 AM by jawnykash »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Safe to delete old Avast files?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 10:32:30 AM »
It's safe to delete both folders, those are user configurations/scan logs/caches.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 11:17:51 AM »
Thanks.  Here goes.  I'll report if any smoke appears.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 01:58:56 AM »
Good news and bad news.  The delete was easy peasy.  However, almost immediately I started having some odd issues.  The finder did not open.  Some other apps (such as Etre) would hang.

I did a restart, no improvement.

I ran an Etre check (see images)  Some Avast info remains in the Etre Report, though I can't locate any files.

The good news is another restart did get the finder to work.  Still some slowness (beach balls).