Author Topic: Avast! Silent mode turning on by iteself and password protection setting changed  (Read 4198 times)

REDACTED

Hello everyone.
I was using my laptop normally, when something strange hapenned.
I started using the "PC setting" app, and when I got back to the desktop, Avast! silent mode was turned on (I never turn it on. it's always off), so I thought I could it be that the app that turned on Avast! Silent mode (since it's a fullscreen app).

Just a few moments later, I saw that the password protection (to access certain areas, you must give the password), enabled on every part of Avast! (normally I leave every area checked for password, except for the General Program Access), including the General Program Access.

I'm currently scanning the PC with a Avast!, MBAM and ESET Online Scanner. Avast! full scan came with nothing detected, so I'm going to continue the scans and report the status later.

I don't know if this behavior is normal (it's probably not), but I would like to know if this is a possible infection, or Avast! just bugged?

Thank you.

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Pls try Repair option of Avast!.Is the self-defense module on?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:24:07 AM by Be Secure »
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

REDACTED

Pls try Repair option of Avast!.Is the self-defense module on?

I just did the repair and re-configured Avast! to my like.

Before these events, the self-defense module was on (can`t tell few moments before, but 1 day before the event it was on).

I also scanned using ESET Online Scanner and nothing was detected, I will scan with MBAM to check anything else.

I will share the results of the scan later.

EDIT: Forgot to tell, I also noticed that before the repair, every item from Troubleshooting was checked (including the self-defense), but also including the "Load Avast services after the normal services"

EDIT2:  MBAM scan detected nothing. Well, was this some kind of infection? Or maybe Avast! bugged itself?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:24:39 AM by Nori-chan »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
What were your ESET scanner settings?
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

What were your ESET scanner settings?

Well, I just checked everything. I will attach an image.

Just to translate the picture:

The items that I selected were:
- Allow the detection of PUP.
- Remove found threats
- Search files
- Search for Potentially Insecure Programs
- Use anti-stealth technology

I searched the whole C drive and the operational memory.

I don't know if I translated the names correctly, but I did my best.

REDACTED

Just another information: I have a tablet with Windows 8.1 pro with Avast! Free Antivirus, MBAM (free) and ESET Online Scanner.
Today, the same problem occurred with it. The "silent mode" was turned on and all troubleshooting settings were checked too.
Since I don't use password protection on the tablet, the problem with it didn't occurred.

I'm starting to think that this is a problem between Windows 8.1 and Avast!, but there's still a chance of being an infection too (both having the exactly same infection?)

What do you guys think?

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
To get assistance create a  topic in the Virus and Worms forum.Give log to assist:https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

REDACTED

To get assistance create a  topic in the Virus and Worms forum.Give log to assist:https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Ok, here is the link to the thread that I created:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=183591.0