Author Topic: computer freezes  (Read 6833 times)

marcie

computer freezes
« on: November 28, 2003, 08:06:12 PM »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
upon the advice of a friend, i downloaded the avast 4.1 home addition program.  I had been experiencing problems with my computer for sometime and he swears by this program.  

However after installing this program and running it it found a trojan.  I deleted it all and wait for it to do it thing.  when I returned to my computer it was back at the the logon screen (i run windows xp).  I logged on to my name and itwould not let me open any programs.  it froze.  i can only run anything in safe mode any ideas?? I cannot even delete the program.  I also have norton.

someone please any advice!!! >:(

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:computer freezes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 08:11:29 PM »
thats the problem you cant have 2 resident scanners running at the same time. In safe mode uninstall norton that should fix the problem
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 03:42:34 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

techie101

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 12:41:09 AM »
MAC,
You can't have 2 resident scanners running in any mode. hahaha

Marcie,
If you want to get things back on track, you will need to completely uninstall BOTH Norton and AVAST.

Reboot, then run diskscan and defrag ( I do this as a preventive measure)

Then, reinstall Avast and make sure you have version 4.304 installed.
If not, use the manual update.

After you have the most current program installed, run a full scan and set the local drives to Thorough, and include archive files.

If you don't know how to do so, get back to me or IM me.  I will give you detailed instructions.  Ok?

techie
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 12:43:11 AM by techie101 »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 03:39:47 AM »
i did not mean that i frogot the STUIPD PERIOD IN THE SENTANCE  >:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 03:40:02 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 03:43:11 AM »
I corrected the post. I MUST calm down now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003, 02:04:25 AM »
Marcie, I'll try to post in a simple way:

1. Desinstall your actual version of avast (Control Panel).
2. Boot
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete desinstallation.
4. Boot

5. Use the Control Panel > Install/Uninstall Applications applet to remove Norton Antivirus (NAV) (it´s not necessary to remove other applications from the Norton SystemWorks not even LiveUpdate or LiveRegistration).
6. Boot.
7. Use RNAV2003 or this link to download and then remove traces of NAV into your registry. Download and run the application. If you have already done the first step, choose 'No' to continue.
8. Boot.
9. Do not remove manually or using another software the Registry keys, it´s not necessary (by now) and may be dangerous.  But, if you want and do not fell unconfortable walking through windows registry and deleating the many left behind entries, there is some good registry cleaners available to aid in complete removal of these. Reg Cleaner is a good one but it is a Shareware (you can run once to do its job). Another links and applications could be found here at the section Registry Tools. For Windows 98, I recommend RegClean.
If you have time, you can read more at this Windows Registry Guide.

10. Install avast! (answer 'Yes' for the presence of another av, in this case traces of NAV). Starting with version 4.0.172, there is a functionality in avast! Setup to detect and warn the presence of Norton Antivirus installed on the target machine.
11. Boot.
12. You will have to change Registry "corrupted" keys by NAV, see here.
13. At last (after the boot), make a eicar.com test (see links here).

Hope this help.
The best things in life are free.