Author Topic: Email filtering  (Read 2280 times)

REDACTED

Email filtering
« on: February 26, 2016, 12:13:27 PM »
Why does Avast not provide the option to remove executable files attached to emails?  AVG does this.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Email filtering
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:19:29 PM »
Why would it do so ?
They can be legitimate files.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 12:23:16 PM »
Why would it do so ?
They can be legitimate files.
yes, but IF the option is there, then you can select it IF that is what you want

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »
I doubt if my wife's two sisters will ever legitimately receive executables in their emails.  My concern is to lower their risk of being socially engineered by email.  My sole aim in life :) is to minimise the unplanned 90 mile round trip necessary when either of their computers become infected with malware.  Reducing the possibility of inadvertantly executed executables can save me a lot of bother.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 04:06:43 PM »
Why does Avast not provide the option to remove executable files attached to emails?  AVG does this.

Removing a file just because of its file extension isn't smart AV work but dumb discrimination. Not that it is infected.

Receiving an attachment of any file type isn't an immediate threat anyway. You have to open/run it and regardless of what file type it is.

You should never run/open an attachment directly from your email client, save the attachment to your hard disk. That action should trigger an avast file system shield scan (depending on file type), the same is true if you try to run that .exe file after saving it to your hard disk.

Education, Education, Education, should be top of the list.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 04:16:40 PM »
I doubt if my wife's two sisters will ever legitimately receive executables in their emails.  My concern is to lower their risk of being socially engineered by email.  My sole aim in life :) is to minimise the unplanned 90 mile round trip necessary when either of their computers become infected with malware.  Reducing the possibility of inadvertantly executed executables can save me a lot of bother.
well give them Gmail accounts ... Gmail does not allow sending receiving .exe files

« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:39:13 PM by Pondus »