Author Topic: OT: other AV definition updates  (Read 4386 times)

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
OT: other AV definition updates
« on: November 29, 2003, 10:53:09 AM »
Mods, if you found this thread improper, kindly do not hesitate to delete it  :-\

I just checked the newly detected viruses pages of both the InoIT engine and the Vet engine of eTrust7 promo (Newly Detected Viruses)..
I just copied each one to Ms-Word and checked the document properties..
InoIT contains 1821 lines, Vet contains 1694 lines.
each line is a virus..
So, we have about 2000 newly detected viruses since the last update ??? ??? ??? ???
this is the largest newly detected amount I have ever seen  :o :o
My question to the AV gurus, is this possible ? ??? ???
MW

Pavel Baudis

Re:OT: other AV definition updates
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 11:21:50 AM »
I just checked the newly detected viruses pages of both the InoIT engine and the Vet engine of eTrust7 promo (Newly Detected Viruses)..
I just copied each one to Ms-Word and checked the document properties..
InoIT contains 1821 lines, Vet contains 1694 lines.
each line is a virus..
So, we have about 2000 newly detected viruses since the last update ??? ??? ??? ???
this is the largest newly detected amount I have ever seen  :o :o
My question to the AV gurus, is this possible ? ??? ???

Well, I do not know exactly how their virus lab works but I think it is quite normal that sometimes the viruses and trojans which have not been found In the Wild (biggest part of their list contains some backdoors) are not added immediately but after thorough testing (for FPs etc). You might see the same stuff in avast! - last night we have added about 3000 new Tojan-gen detections but it does not mean they are all new since the last update ;).

BTW: the biggest addition to AVs was a set of 15 000 new DOS viruses sent to the AV companies. Well, these viruses were generated by the silly Virus Generator and most of the samples were already detected by many AV programs. The number of detected viruses in some products jumped about 15 000 however ;)!

Pavel

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:OT: other AV definition updates
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 12:09:38 PM »
thanx for clarifying Pavel  ;D
MW