Author Topic: User info about new fix for the next VPS?  (Read 13584 times)

Zagor

User info about new fix for the next VPS?
« on: December 31, 2005, 04:21:26 AM »
After Memory & Auto-start programs Scan with my avast Pro I get a false positive:

* Task '04 MY Memory & Auto-start programs (All Users)' used
* Started on Friday, 30. December 2005 16:58:00
* VPS: 0552-2, 29/12/2005
Process 248, memory block 0x00BE0000, block size 53248 [L] Saturday 14th-669 (0)
During the file repair, error occurred: The system cannot find the file specified
Infected files: 1
* Task stopped: Friday, 30. December 2005 17:01:24
* Run-time was 3 minute(s), 24 second(s)

The process was C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe
from my BitDefender Free Edition

I reported this thing couple of times before. So I'll be waiting the next VPS... ;)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: User info about new fix for the next VPS?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 04:33:08 AM »
Considering that antivirus programs are designed to look for tell tale signs of viruses it seems to me that one antivirus program is likely to find tell-tale virus signatures in another antivirus program. 

I think it perhaps excessive to expect any antivirus program to be developed in a way that it will not detect virus signatures in another antivirus product installed on your system.

If you choose to have multiple antivirus functions resident on your system then invesitgation of the "exclude" options of the various products would seem to me to make sense rather than expecting the antivirus product developers to save you from your own decisions.

Zagor

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 05:32:51 AM »
False positive is still a false positive.

I think it perhaps excessive to expect any antivirus program to be developed in a way that it will not detect virus signatures in another antivirus product installed on your system.

But tell me, how often is this happening with avast.  AFAIK know, very rarely. There are some issues with Panda definitions and nothing about Bit Defender. I don't think this is still unreasonable request. Maybe in the future this will be the issue, which will probably depend on new viruses and new principles of detection, but we don't know that for now.

If you choose to have multiple antivirus functions resident on your system then invesitgation of the "exclude" options of the various products would seem to me to make sense rather than expecting the antivirus product developers to save you from your own decisions.

avast is the only resident scanner on my system, BitDefender is just On-Demand application.

Think of all those fresh avast users, finding a virus that they can't remove due to error of avast (just look in the detection message). I 've seen a few users that gave up on a application just because there was one of two confusing messages or requests. There are not many people that are willing to sort things out like you & me now about software.

Is it so unreasonable to expect that Alwil team can make this kind of fix rather than expect from unexperienced (better disinterested) users to build up their exclusion list? And as it may sound trivial, those users are target demografic for the sale.

So who will be needing a rescue from their desicions? Anyway, this is my opinion and sugestion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 05:35:08 AM by Zagor »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 07:45:21 AM »
Zagor,

I'm not trying to make a big issue with you.  Avast! has recently been criticized for the thoroughness and speed with which it deals with viruses.  Vlk has told us that more effort will go to addressing those issues.

Any of us who have ever been in a position to determine where our limited development resources will go must feel some sympathy for the avast! team.  They continue to make this product available for free to a huge number of people.  They are not of the size and resources (thank Heavens!) of Symantec and must, I am sure, be much more prudent in allocating their efforts. 

Their principal purpose is, and must continue to be, protection of the user community from existing and new viruses.  That, in itself, is a staggering task. 

We see all sorts of requests, the incessant demands from a certain poster for a  "prettier" interface - as if that will save anyone from a virus.  Then there are the demands for faster scanning, the background drone of "avast destroyed every exe on my system",  "why can't avast just quarantine a single email message?" etc. 

You (and I also) have chosen to install other software to assist us in the battle against malware.  I have chosen other software than you.  It does not seems to cause avast! to throw up any false positives.  While neither of us have chosen a second "resident" scanner both of our choices (by our choice) install software and signature files on our system.  We are but two users - there are many choices out there and more appear every month.  If I choose to demand of avast! that they do not cause problems with my choice and all the other users do the same - what are they to do?  They could spend all their time just avoiding problems from the extra malware avoidance products that you, I and every other user chooses to install. 

No, that is not the right way for avast!  The right way right now for avast! is to be among the very best in combatting existing and new viruses - that will attract the mass of customers (hopefully a good proportion of them paying) that will enable the team to have resources to deploy against issues such as the one you have raised - but it must, I suggest, take second place to the prime directive.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 07:51:40 AM by alanrf »

hlecter

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 11:23:15 AM »
Hi Zagor:

Just a little suggestion from me.

Go for AVG free, and under installation skip everything but on-demand scanner.

If you ,like me, stop ALL AVG processes except when you scan with AVG or update it you are safe from these problems. (perhaps unnecessary to stop the processes, but just to be sure.)  :)

I have been using AVG in this way for months without any problems.
The key is not INSTALLING AVG resident part or mailpart.

Always good with second opinion  ;D and this solution has worked for me for months.

(I have to admit: AVG never found anything that Avast missed.)  :)

Never had a problem with Avast interfering with AVG.

Hannibal Lecter
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 11:34:43 AM by hlecter »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 11:50:23 AM »
Then, Mr. Lecter, what has all this effort bought you ... apart from nothing?

On second thoughts perhaps your nothing may relieve those hints of paranoia in the rest of us. 

Please keep us informed if "nothing" continues.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 11:57:20 AM by alanrf »

hlecter

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 12:01:03 PM »
Then, Mr. Lecter, what has all this effort bought you ... apart from nothing?

It has brought me the same as Avast has done-nothing.  :D

Avast never found anything on my system.  :)

I use a-2 and Ewido,too. Ewido has never found anything on my system, a-2 too many false positives.

Short answer to your question: PEACE of mind  :-* and that is valuable for me.

No software can replace good brainware and safe hex.  ;)

I forgot to mention: Ad-aware(finds nothing apart from Alexa which I let alone).  ;D

Speaking of paranoia: I have a good portion of that, and paranoia can be useful.  ;)

One exception: I surf with Admin rights! (against all odds) according to experts.  :'(

Hannibal Lecter
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 01:08:27 PM by hlecter »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 12:11:10 PM »
Mr. Lecter,

Why go to the trouble of disabling software when there are plenty of alternatives that provide excellent on demand scanning without the effort?

On reflection and reviewing some of your recent posts, please ignore my question.

I suspect that scanning your system 24x7 with every available product will probably not give you peace of mind. 

hlecter

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 12:26:50 PM »
I have peace of mind as I said.  What are you insinuating? :(

Mr. Lecter,

Why go to the trouble of disabling software when there are plenty of alternatives that provide excellent on demand scanning without the effort?

What trouble are you talking abot. I have a simple bat-file to take care of that.  ;D

Mr. Lecter,

On reflection and reviewing some of your recent posts, please ignore my question.

I suspect that scanning your system 24x7 with every available product will probably not give you peace of mind.

What are you insinuating. You must be breaking some forumrules here.

Mr. Lecter

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 02:13:54 PM »
Zagor, is the same "virus" found in BitDefender's process every time you run the scan? If yes, I'd say it's simply the same problem as with Panda definitions (though it's just a guess without seeing the real memory block).
If it is the case, even the "solution" is the same - ask BitDefender to properly scramble their signatures.

Zagor

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 02:40:43 PM »
Avast! has recently been criticized for the thoroughness and speed with which it deals with viruses.  Vlk has told us that more effort will go to addressing those issues.

Yes, I read that and I'm looking forward to it!

Any of us who have ever been in a position to determine where our limited development resources will go must feel some sympathy for the avast! team.

Absolutely, as a human component to this story it is highly resonable to assume that money represents the primary guidance in determing the future interests for development. I sympathyze completely, belive me.

Their principal purpose is, and must continue to be, protection of the user community from existing and new viruses.

Of course, was there anything else besides that? This is and should stay the primary   goal. I wasn't trying to make an issue. My point was that for solving Bit Defender "problem" avast team would reap much more benefit rather than choose not to. Point was also that this was not a colosal demand, speaking of solving it. Especially since this is a rare case of software disaccording.

I still think that my post about that was usefull, just in terms of informing other users .
Maybe a solution for Alwil is to announce this issue in the FAQ like the Panda case.

They could spend all their time just avoiding problems from the extra malware avoidance products that you, I and every other user chooses to install.

I don't think that Bit Defender is the part which can be disregarded, especially because it's popularity. You are right, but with a little correction, if you allow me. This must be avast politics in case of "extra malware avoidance products" for the lower part of the market, but not for the top 10 giant which encludes Bit Defender. The way for dealing with is their decision, I'm just trying to make a suggestion.

Thank you for the debate, Zagor.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 02:42:42 PM by Zagor »

Zagor

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 02:45:12 PM »
Hi Zagor:

Just a little suggestion from me.

Go for AVG free, and under installation skip everything but on-demand scanner.

If you ,like me, stop ALL AVG processes except when you scan with AVG or update it you are safe from these problems. (perhaps unnecessary to stop the processes, but just to be sure.)  :)

Hi my friend, thank you for concern.

I've been there, I've done it. AVG was on my system exactly the way like you suggest. Prior to install, I've been skiping the on-demand scanner and it was my solution for a few months. I had no problems but soon I turned back to my long time favorite Bit Defender.
As always, I'm looking and testing new solutions. Due to that my machine felt a good portion of software, but some pieces of software deserved special status, speaking of efficiency.

Avast Pro included!

Zagor

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 02:49:55 PM »
Zagor, is the same "virus" found in BitDefender's process every time you run the scan? If yes, I'd say it's simply the same problem as with Panda definitions (though it's just a guess without seeing the real memory block).
If it is the case, even the "solution" is the same - ask BitDefender to properly scramble their signatures.

Hello Igor,
yes, the same "virus" is found in BitDefender's process every time I run the scan. I'm interasted in you're opinion on dealing with this issue and what is avast politics, if you have the time?

I will be glad to help if there is more info I can post.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 03:46:09 PM »
The problem with chasing other AVs signature files is that it adds another layer of complexability to your scan which is likelt to reduce the speed, something that everyone is screaming about, the need for speed.

Assuming a detections is made, the location would have to be checked to see if this culd be related to another AVs signatures and decide if it is indeed a false positive and ignore it. Now any time the AV company changes something in its file naming or the user uses a different folder to the default, then any additional checks would be negated.

Why should avast or any other AV company spend time and money developing another level of checking to cater the errors or omissions of other AVs if their signatures aren't encrypted as in Panda's.

This may well not be the case with dbss.exe as I can't see why a supposed on-demand scanner is in memory?
"Process 248, memory block 0x00BE0000,"
"The process was C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe"

bdss.exe (BitDefender scan server) - Details

The bdss.exe process runs in the background and scans your system for virus threats. If you stop this process, BitDefender will not be able to effectively protect your computer from viruses and trojans, so unless it causes problems with your system your should try and leave it running.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 03:48:58 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Zagor

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 04:03:43 PM »
But how much work can this be for Alwil to solve the problem? One day, two, how much resources and time? This isn't a frequent case. If it tuns out to be then you are probably right.

And why would Bit Defender make their own encryption more efficient, so the users could buy more of avast?

And really, how much pain on the detection engine are we talking here, regarding couple of exclusions?