Author Topic: Receive e-mail before avast is able to scan  (Read 6069 times)

OB1

Receive e-mail before avast is able to scan
« on: December 21, 2005, 09:07:07 PM »
Hi,

i've been using Avast for quite some time now, but i only just noticed something:
if i open my e-mail client (TBird 1.0.7) before the Avast E-mail scanning service is started, my mail isn't scanned.
When i used Outlook Express, it always looked like it had to wait for Avast to start before mail would come in (that might just be an impression).

Is there any way to prevent this from happening (making sure my e-mail is scanned), besides waiting to open Tbird until after Avast starts.

OB1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Receive e-mail before avast is able to scan
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 09:28:25 PM »
Your Internet Mail provider should start automatically unless you have terminated it.

How are you starting TBird that it would beat the avast Internet Mail provider on start-up?
Do you have another AV installed or previously installed?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

OB1

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 09:42:32 PM »
Your Internet Mail provider should start automatically unless you have terminated it.
It does.

How are you starting TBird that it would beat the avast Internet Mail provider on start-up?
I start it myself from the desktop shortcut, nothing fancy. It just takes avast almost another minute to start after my desktop appears, so if i open Tbird immediately after i get my desktop, all e-mail is received before avast even starts.

Do you have another AV installed or previously installed?
No, never have on this installation.
Win XP SP2 by the way.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 09:57:01 PM »
Obviously avast is scanning files that are being opened, etc. on boot and shortly after it as your start-up programs load, so I would suggest you wait until the avast icon stops rotating before launching TBird. However, I can't see why TBird should be different from OE if you launched that the same way.

The act of launching TBird will also cause avast to scan the numerous files that it opens, compared to OE you will probably find there are more files being opened on launch with TBird. So speed wise in theory OE should launch quicker, perhaps the priority settings are different in TBird.

What is the sensitivity setting of Standard Shield, High or Normal?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

OB1

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 10:33:17 PM »
However, I can't see why TBird should be different from OE if you launched that the same way.
Maybe it's just in my mind, but it always appeared to me that OE sort of hung as long as Avast mailscanner wasnt started, i thought it was because of the mailproxy taking over the traffic on port 110, and it being unable to connect to the mailscanner,since it hadn't started yet.

The act of launching TBird will also cause avast to scan the numerous files that it opens, compared to OE you will probably find there are more files being opened on launch with TBird. So speed wise in theory OE should launch quicker, perhaps the priority settings are different in TBird.

What is the sensitivity setting of Standard Shield, High or Normal?

one more thing i just noticed: at the time i open tbird (right after startup) the avast  icon shows 0 of 4 providers running. That would imply that no scanning is even yet taking place at all.
Is it possible that Avast services are getting started late on my system, maybe because of some other setting (some other service that must be started before Avast)

Standard shield is on high

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 11:28:15 PM »
Maybe it's just in my mind, but it always appeared to me that OE sort of hung as long as Avast mailscanner wasnt started, i thought it was because of the mailproxy taking over the traffic on port 110, and it being unable to connect to the mailscanner,since it hadn't started yet.
Mailproxy? At Windows XP SP2? Why? The email scanning should be transparently, whithout changing the email account settings  ::)

Standard shield is on high
This could let to long logon times. Try the Normal sensitivity. I think it's the best balance between protection and performance.

one more thing i just noticed: at the time i open tbird (right after startup) the avast  icon shows 0 of 4 providers running. That would imply that no scanning is even yet taking place at all. Is it possible that Avast services are getting started late on my system, maybe because of some other setting (some other service that must be started before Avast)

It does.

I start it myself from the desktop shortcut, nothing fancy. It just takes avast almost another minute to start after my desktop appears, so if i open Tbird immediately after i get my desktop, all e-mail is received before avast even starts.

Why are you doing that?
Windows Services are started before you logon (or the logon scripts starts).
Internet Mail provider is set to manual start by default.
No need for icons on desktop or starting before TB.
The best things in life are free.

OB1

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 09:52:08 PM »
An answer with some delay, but i'm working on my linuxbox mostly these days, so the concept of antivirus kind of slipped from my attention.

Mailproxy? At Windows XP SP2? Why? The email scanning should be transparently, whithout changing the email account settings

By mailproxy i mean whatever system is used to make traffic on port 110 go through the mailscanner.

Why are you doing that?
Windows Services are started before you logon (or the logon scripts starts).
Internet Mail provider is set to manual start by default.
No need for icons on desktop or starting before TB.

It's TBird i'm starting with a shortcut on the desktop, not the Mailprovider. It was a reply to DavidR's question. It means i'm not doing anything strange to make TBird start before the mailprovider.
Service should be started before logon, that's just what i mean by this topic: on my system the Avast services are started almost a minute after i get my desktop.
A lot can happen in a minute on a PC.
Maybe this won't happen if i wait a minute longer before logging on, but what's the point of having a system boot up fast, if you then have to wait for your antivirus to start before you can do anything (safely).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 09:54:01 PM by OB1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 08:52:27 PM »
Service should be started before logon, that's just what i mean by this topic: on my system the Avast services are started almost a minute after i get my desktop.
No, Service is manual started by default. Not automatically. Email applications and traffic will 'start' the service I suppose.

OB1

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 09:11:35 PM »
No, Service is manual started by default. Not automatically. Email applications and traffic will 'start' the service I suppose.

The mailscanner service is set to manual, the others (Avast service & Avast update service) are on automatic, and these two also aren't running for a minute after i logon.(checked that in task manager)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 09:33:37 PM »
These two also aren't running for a minute after i logon.(checked that in task manager)
I need superior help... I can't imagine what's blocking the services to start. The dependencies of the services should be running before... Do you suspect on any other program (service) in your computer (low level blocker application, firewall, etc.)?

OB1

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 08:14:05 AM »
OK, i found the cause for the services starting late.
At home i use a wired cable connection to internet.
I'm currently staying at my in-laws' because i'm having renovations done, where i go online through a wireless router.
My wired internet connection at home has a dynamic ip-address.
The avast services (and some others) wait for the network adapter to get an ip-address, which takes a long time, since it's not connected.
If i disable the unconnected adapters, or give them a fixed ip, the avast services are running when i reach my desktop.
Except for the mailservice, which has to wait for a start command by the mailprovider i guess.
I'll have to check wether e-mails get scanned now when retreived immediately after logon.

edit:
ok, that was it.
Apparently my adapter used for internet connection (Dlink DE-520) does not report a cable disconnected, which causes the dhcp client to try and get an address, which of course times out, keeping a bunch of services waiting.
This may be fixed by using the dlink drivers, instead of the windows xp included one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 08:23:20 AM by OB1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 01:24:27 PM »
Glad to know you find the misteries  ;)