Author Topic: Tiny fix needed and another question  (Read 4490 times)

beck

Tiny fix needed and another question
« on: November 27, 2003, 04:48:16 AM »
In the Enhanced interface.

Start Avast from the desktop icon. Click on "Tasks" on the right under folders. The New icon is greyed out. If you click the "Scheduler" icon, then the "Tasks" icon again, you have the New icon in the tool bar. But the Edit icon is always greyed out. And I'm not sure what the third greyed out icon is.

I have a question on the VRDB. I generated it ok. I have it set to update when the system is idle. Well, it's never idle because I run folding@home and I never run a screen saver.  So, how often should I run the generate thing? Or do I want to find a way to update instead? The help says it updates every 3 weeks.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Tiny fix needed and another question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 09:39:02 AM »
Strange... here, the "New" task icon is not greyed when I click Tasks.
As for the other icons - when you move your mouse on it and wait a little, you'll get a tooltip :)
The "Edit", "Delete", and "Start" icons are greyed out until you select a task from the right part of the window.

I think the "idleness" of the system is recognized by the user typing/not typing on the keyboard and moving/not moving the mouse. I.e. it's not really checking the CPU usage - so it shouldn't interefere with folding@home. (I'm not 100% sure about it though - anybody can confirm?)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 03:09:34 PM »
blackICE uses 25% of CPU and if I dont move the keyboard the VRDB will generate
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 03:19:12 PM »
Yes that's correct. By idle we mean no user interaction with the puter. Also, we try to watch for some other stuff (like playing a movie or something), but basically it should work OK...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

beck

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 10:14:14 PM »
This is what it looks like for me.

Well, I tried attaching the pic, but it doesn't show. Oh well. :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 10:16:32 PM by beck »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003, 03:28:22 AM »
Hi,

I'm a teensy bit late with this, because I just registered with the forum this afternoon or evening.  Two comments on the VRDB:

First, if I know I can spare the computer for a bit, I sometimes like to "force" a VRDB update immediately after doing a disk scan (assuming it came up clean, of course) -- especially if I've recently installed and/or updated quite a bit of other stuff.  That way I know I've got a VRDB that's clean AND fairly up to date.

And to expand slightly on Vlk's comments about computer activity, I'd originally assumed that the update would need a fair bit of inactivity, essentially long enough to "do its thing" in one pass.  But apparently when it's time, it's quite happy to grab a few seconds here and a few there in between whatever else you're doing, until it's finished.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent