Author Topic: Win32:Smadow-G[Trj] located in avast directory, and in /dev/fd/  (Read 4728 times)

REDACTED

So I was performing a system scan today, and came across something quite bizarre. The virus scanner found a Smadow Trojan at /Library/Application\ Support/Avast/vps9/defs/16030102/db_str.map and another at /dev/fd/17. I could quickly delete the 'compromised file in the avast directory, although I'm not quite sure I should, but after running the command cd /dev/fd to check on the other infected file, and then running the ls command, I found that the file does not appear to exist.
Now I'm worried.
Why is Avast showing an infected file that i'm not quite sure exist, or at least I don't have access to, and which Avast is unable to delete or store in the Virus Chest? And why does another infected file exist within the Avast directory?
Does anyone know how I can remedy this issue?

REDACTED

Re: Win32:Smadow-G[Trj] located in avast directory, and in /dev/fd/
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 05:18:39 AM »
The same thing happened to me. Does anyone know how to proceed? I have run two more scans. One with Mackeeper and one with Aviva. Neither one found this.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 05:23:28 AM »
I have also found this after running a full scan today on my Mac.  Also found in /Library/ApplicationSupport/Avast/vps9/defs/16030102/db_str.map  and /.mobile/eBackups/Computer/2016-3--1-1522...

the dev/fd/100 file does not move to the Chest. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:28:36 AM by jim.hemans »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:38:59 AM »
I have got the same issue as well after running a full scan on my Mac last night.

Found in Library/Application Support/Avast...ect and in /.mobile/eBackups....cannot delete or move to chest

I have already tried deleting the Java cashe...---> java control panel ---> General ---> settings ---> delete files --> check Trace and Log files, cashed applications and Applets, Installed applications and applets...but after doing another scan the file is still there and the problem persists!

Should I go ahead an delete the str.map manually? maybe delete the virus definitions and then update? Uninstall Avast and install again? What are we dealing with here?

Does Avast have any suggestions?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:12:25 PM »
Same exact problem.  I am trying to submit the db_str.map to VirusTotal... having trouble though...

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 02:50:51 PM »
Having the same issue, someone must know what to do? I just deleted this and tried searching on internet but found no answer if the problem is solved or not.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 11:36:24 PM »
I have this showing up on my Mac too. Has anyone found a remedy? I have tried deleting it three times and it is still there, and if I go to the file and try to find it, I can't locate it.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »
Hello,
thanks, for notice. It will be fixed in next VPS release.

Milos