Poll

Why not Avast! engineers creates a tool for Ransomwares!

Yes.Avast! should create a non signature base ransomware protection in all version
17 (89.5%)
May be
1 (5.3%)
No.Signatures are ok.(Only Signatures)
0 (0%)
Evo-gen,File-Rep and DeepScreen-Make them more stronger to fight Ransomwares
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: March 10, 2016, 04:07:49 AM

Author Topic: To Fight against Ransomwares  (Read 7712 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: To Fight against Ransomwares
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 01:16:46 AM »
They already have the "HIPS" component which could be used, but you can mark mmy words it'll not do much like it hasn't done much since avast! 5.0 when it was called Behavior Shield. I don't bloody understand it why everyone else can have effective behavior blockers, but avast just can't deliver it.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 03:01:31 AM »
My suggestion is just strip down Avast during install (custom) to the base A/V (shields only) & add MBAM Pro. into the package....it has totally hurt the Avast name/credibility IMHO.  :(
Many of the people I talk to while doing my Avast sponsored security presentations, think that some of the add-ons happen to be very helpful. :)

I won't argue other peoples perspectives......just providing mine.
Obviously, Avast is doing more right than wrong for the "masses" so who am I to tell happy customers they aren't really happy. :)

For me, I try to balance ease of use with effectiveness with risk (always risk using security software) and "for me" Avast A/V (only) + the MalwareBytes products seem to hit that mark...again for me.  I could spend a lot of time comparing the other products that Avast "bundles" with their Avast Suite and how I see much more effective ways out there that have much longer and more reputable history but if others are happy then so be it.  I am just in agreement with RejZoR (as I infer his comments), and some of the others, in that I wish what Avast releases was more of substance rather than rushing gimmick utils that can cause more issue than help.  As a long time Avast user I wish they had stuck to their A/V core genre and gone the anti-malware route, then Ransonware solution space.......having preferred them to stay within their expertise rather than buy companies and integrate software that is buggy and IMHO waters down their once top tier name.  It appears Avast's efforts of being the best at what they do have been diluted by other external (now internal) influences to broaden their scope rather than continue to be the best at what they do.

Anyway, just my opinion and eager to see what/how they solve "ransomware".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:24:46 AM by thekochs »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 02:51:19 PM »
Latest initiatives against Ransomware: Roman Hussey's tracker and blocklist.
Ransomeware tracker: https://ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/tracker/
Blocklist: https://ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/downloads/RW_IPBL.txt

enjoy my friends, enjoy,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 04:48:57 PM »
Really Avast! is need some weapons to fight against the dark Ransomwares,Avast! is little bit of weak against "Nasty" Ransomwares.Pls avast! team make something spacial to your users.
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
Really Avast! is need some weapons to fight against the dark Ransomwares,Avast! is little bit of weak against "Nasty" Ransomwares.Pls avast! team make something spacial to your users.
As said before, they are working on it and nag dont help

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 05:03:49 PM »
As said before, they are working on it and nag dont help
Ok :D
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »
While it would be great to get protection from these infections, why is now the time they are finally acknowledging these? They've been a bigger issue than actual viruses for nearly a decade and are responsible for most infections I see as a PC tech.

However, in my experience, adblockplus or ublock is pretty much all you need if you aren't dumb enough to click on the occasional ad that may get through.