Author Topic: Frozen Computer after starting Microsoft Word 97  (Read 13595 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Frozen Computer after starting Microsoft Word 97
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2003, 02:01:45 AM »
icey,

I was reading back over your posts.  I know you said you uninstalled Norton, but the screenshot still showed Norton keys.  You need to remove the registry key entries as well.
techie

Icey, techie is correct. See your startup entries posted here... Remove traces of Norton with a Registry Cleaner:

RegClean for Windows 98 (but works on XP)
BeClean Specially the Registry Cleaning feature
But the best, you can make a download for try, is PowerTools. Very powerful registry power tools, with lots of extra options]very powerfull registry power tools, with lots of extra options. Unfortunately, it's a shareware. You can run it before the expiration time and get rid from Norton.
The best things in life are free.

iceydragon

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2003, 06:01:13 PM »
K, I presume Im looking for anything with norton or based on norton in the registry, or am I lookin for certain keys only?

techie101

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2003, 06:07:36 PM »
icey,

Yes, any notation with Norton should go UNLESS you have the Norton Utilies installed.  Then you need to decide if you want to keep the tools in your putter or dump Norton completely. (There are better, and less troublesome).

Good luck
techie

iceydragon

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2003, 06:31:17 PM »
Ok yeah. Norton always seems to be the stupid problem  ;D Its sorted. Thnx to all u guys who helped me out there. I removed everything to do with Norton and Symantec from registry and it worked. What more can I say. Every1 who helped out, i owe u one. Thnx again.

P.S Do you think it is something 2 do with Microsoft Word scanning in Norton Antivirus?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2003, 08:41:27 PM »
Ok yeah. Norton always seems to be the stupid problem  ;D Its sorted. Thnx to all u guys who helped me out there. I removed everything to do with Norton and Symantec from registry and it worked. What more can I say. Every1 who helped out, i owe u one. Thnx again.

P.S Do you think it is something 2 do with Microsoft Word scanning in Norton Antivirus?

I know it's a long way, but just check this forum to be sure of your system would be scanned at DOS.

Norton mess, at least, three Registry keys...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

You should also use RNAV2003 or this link to download and then remove traces of NAV into your registry: for removing the most fastidious at clearing out the vestiges of the software and sparing users' headaches. Download and run the application. If you have already done the first step, choose 'No' to continue.

Good luck.  :o
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2003, 12:31:34 AM »
icey,

Glad everything worked out for you.

Happy to be of service.

techie

PS:  In answer to your post....
Unless you removed a program supplied by Symantec (the vendor), then I would not use the term symantec to mean "everything removed".  I never heard of such a use and it could be confusing when you ask for help.

bye,
techie
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 12:37:31 AM by techie101 »