Author Topic: Run XP as optimal as possible  (Read 10282 times)

..::ReVaN::..

Re: Run XP as optimal as possible
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 09:25:01 AM »
Linux is not practical and thus is not widely used on the desktop.

The problem is that people don't know how to use it, it is more practical than windows on any day if you know how to use it ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 12:18:49 PM »
Better if you have wrote Linus wasn't and not is.
Some kind of things are changing and the Linux future does not seem that bad. Maybe it won't find a monopolial market as Windows but, who knows, there will be always a group of people that love to learn and test different things.
I won't say Linux is not practical... Is Windows practical? Do you really think it is? Really?
The best things in life are free.

Mastertech

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 01:03:22 PM »
It is not practical for many reasons. Too many builds are confusing for people. No standardization of applications to run on all builds, poor driver support, driver installation is not a simple as windows. Applications especially gaming is poor in Linux.

When you have to explain to somebody how to do something they can simply click on in Windows, it is not practical.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 01:26:53 PM »
No reputable IE department is going to give all end users full domain admin rights. I'm talking about home users.

Besides, I thought it's an OS that's safer than Windows  ::) ;D At least that's what they said... and we see more and more companies releasing antiviruses fro Linux... even avast! is ready for Linux.

Linux practical ? I wouldn't say so... anything but practical.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 01:29:09 PM by -Tesla »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Mastertech

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 01:33:24 PM »
Linux Safer?  ;)

US-CERT Cyber Security Bulletin 2005 Summary

There were 5198 reported vulnerabilities: 812 Windows operating system vulnerabilities; 2328 Unix/Linux operating vulnerabilities; and 2058 Multiple operating system vulnerabilities.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 01:42:51 PM »
Hehe...  ;D The numbers are incredible, but true...

Many other things can be found easily on that site. I see avast! is listed among the other things in Windows Operating System vulnerabilities:

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB05-145.html#ALWIL

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB05-208.html#avast
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

DukeNukem

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 02:07:23 PM »
Linux practical ? I wouldn't say so... anything but practical.

Depends on the user and their requirements.

Maybe for u linux is not pracitcal. Doesnt mean that it isnt for me.

Looking at windows today , it has one major problem, The vast number of viruses/worms/trojans and spyware.
Linux on the other hand does not.

Im not saying that linux is safer, im saying it has an advantage.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 02:13:52 PM »
Well in this business I'm in, Linux simply can't cope with Windows or for that matter, with Mac OSX... we all chose what's best for us, and thanks God for the freedom of choice.

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 03:15:55 PM »
If you guys want to start a new thread entitled Linux sux (which it doesn't) or whatever go right ahead but this discussion has nothing to do with the thread title Run XP as optimal as possible now does it?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 03:39:45 PM »
Hi folks,

This was not meant to be, because the word should be Unix.
When NT 4.0 was rolled out, there were a lot of Unix trained admins (especially in big hospitals) confronted with NT 4.0 for the first time. I still hear their stories of how Unix was better, and that Windows was not even aware of some things going through Unix. I talk about ages ago in 2000. Well I stick by my main points of critique two low number of qualified admins really MS trained, and I know a lot of times Windows XP Professional SP2 fully patched is not run as optimal as possible. Now I am anxious to hear what should be done to improve this situation? In the old days you should study MS-Dos for two years before you even was allowed to touch a machine.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!