Author Topic: Randomly stuck applications / threads in [2254-2256-2261-2262]  (Read 5346 times)

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
since recent 'new versions' of Avast! 11.x this problem became more common (and still does happen) ...

the issue is cause that some of multi-thread extensive applications go into stall/freeze where they need to be terminated
(either primary binary with tons of threads and/or also with sub-processes where each has own threads)

full-uninstall of Avast! seems to be only workaround to cure of the problem
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:45:59 PM by Dwarden »
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Bohemia Interactive
Re: Randomly stuck applications / threads in 2254
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 03:23:34 AM »
sadly just got the same problem with 2256 too ;(
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Bohemia Interactive
Re: Randomly stuck applications / threads in [2254-2256-2261-2262]
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 06:45:45 PM »
2262 , yet again ...

partial workaround possible (except uninstalling mentioned earlier)
for some of the cases of the hiccup is if you manage to disable the avastSvc.exe then

the stuck application unstuck or crashes
the avastsvc.exe stops or crashes

nothing else gets stuck but sometimes may crash

rest of system operations resume

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:11:15 PM »
Do you have any repro steps we can simulate it in our lab?

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:10:41 AM »
Do you have any repro steps we can simulate it in our lab?

I wish I had or could but it's completely random so far ;(

it's sort of similar to the problem author of BattlEye sent to Avast (emails convo)
but I'm not sure if it's the same

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 07:54:27 PM »
BattlEye's problem was something else -- their app called undocumented API which was primarily designed for debuggers. During that call, system suspended that process and it deadlocked.

When your system gets deadlocked, you should generate full memory.dmp and send us for further analysis. Yesterday you sent me avastsvc's dump but there was no active scanning thread in that moment, so the problem was somewhere else, or it was gone. Full memory dump would be helpful (we can analyze kernel and user-mode threads). Thanks.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 09:35:31 PM »
BattlEye's problem was something else -- their app called undocumented API which was primarily designed for debuggers. During that call, system suspended that process and it deadlocked.

When your system gets deadlocked, you should generate full memory.dmp and send us for further analysis. Yesterday you sent me avastsvc's dump but there was no active scanning thread in that moment, so the problem was somewhere else, or it was gone. Full memory dump would be helpful (we can analyze kernel and user-mode threads). Thanks.

the irony is that BE author removed BE from the system and applications still got frozen threads en random
when each of the end-users with the problem removed avast, everything went fine ...
actually (or most importantly) those 'stuck' threads unfroze when the Avast! uninstall did it's job

also the issue still happens on systems w/o any BattlEye at all ...
full system memory dumps were sent without BattlEye also in the last report

so take look at those in first place

from my observation with last week issues it also seems like
Avast! goes into hardened mode/deepfreeze lock and prevents any other operations elsewhere

if it's directly or indirectly linked to the stuck threads problem I do not know