Poll

When Vista is released do you plan on upgrading to it?

Yes I will upgrade
4 (22.2%)
No I will stay with the version of Windows I already have
8 (44.4%)
I don't know
6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2006, 05:43:16 AM

Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 17618 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2006, 01:02:04 AM »
Hi folks,

Beta test it from here:
http://byzantinecommunications.com/news/node/48

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2006, 01:05:56 AM »
My laptop will run Vista fine. You are missing my point, let's just leave it at that.

I am happy your laptop will run Vista without problems and that was my point too. many people will not have problems running Vista at all, but there are many expectations, and above all many calculations... and the truth is - no one knows for sure (at least not yet) what computer specs we will need to use all Vista features at its fullest.

Of course business machines with non-replaceable video cards will suffer, but isn't it always like that ? New technology is pushing out the old one... we can not fight against that... we can simply go with the flow and spend some additional money from our pocket, or watch it and cry...

Sure, you are right when you say Microsoft should solve those things differently, but who are we to argue about that... they will always do whatever they think it's the best (for us or for them) and we can just stand still and watch. They have all that money, so they think they can rule the World. As far as I can see, they are succeeding in achieving their goals.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2006, 01:26:45 PM »
not sure if someone mentioned it but for best usage of HD Video / Sound in Vista ... You will need "latest" versions of
HD-DVD/BlueRay drives, TVtuners, VideoCard, SoundCard and !!!! display !!!! and more likely also mainboard ... and so on ...

this is because Vista incorporates very complex anti video/sound piracy solution and IF something in the stream drive > bus/memory/cpu/bus > soundcard/videocard > output device (display) is not supporting secure content ... you simple see "worse" quality than HD content

for these who want to know, get some read about
PVP-OPM (Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management) - going hand by hand with HDCP/HDMI
PVP-UAB (Protected Video Path - User-Accessible Bus) - secures data path over bus into output device
PUMA (Protected User Mode Audio) plans are to reimprove it into PAP (Protected Audio Path)

i mainly feel sorry for owners of expensive HD widescreen TFT w/o HDCP/HDMI

in short ... nearly all devices in Vista computer will need to support new security features otherwise no HD content ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2006, 01:31:39 PM »
Rejzor,

The graphics card they recommended for Windows Vista is fairly high quality when looking into business laptops.

They were also fairly high for Windows XP but people were still running it. Some with less eye candies, some used Classic theme without any fade effects and transitions, without transparent effects and so on. If you switch to classic theme with basic effects, WinXP will act exactly the same as Win2000. Turning off fading effects and you get the same as Win98 (even start menu can be set back to retro Win98 style).
Windows Vista will be the same. Those (we) who use better graphic cards supporting hardware accelerated Alpha Blending (avast! skins use this too!) and DirectX 9 will be able to see more effects while those with integrate will stay at classic theme for bacward "compatibility" with older graphic cards.
No on e forces you too set everything to max, you have to make compromises if your hardware is old. This is the same for years in OS-es and games so i don't see anything weird in this at all.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2006, 01:37:26 PM »
not sure if someone mentioned it but for best usage of HD Video / Sound in Vista ... You will need "latest" versions of
HD-DVD/BlueRay drives, TVtuners, VideoCard, SoundCard and !!!! display !!!! and more likely also mainboard ... and so on ...

this is because Vista incorporates very complex anti video/sound piracy solution and IF something in the stream drive > bus/memory/cpu/bus > soundcard/videocard > output device (display) is not supporting secure content ... you simple see "worse" quality than HD content

for these who want to know, get some read about
PVP-OPM (Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management) - going hand by hand with HDCP/HDMI
PVP-UAB (Protected Video Path - User-Accessible Bus) - secures data path over bus into output device
PUMA (Protected User Mode Audio) plans are to reimprove it into PAP (Protected Audio Path)

i mainly feel sorry for owners of expensive HD widescreen TFT w/o HDCP/HDMI

in short ... nearly all devices in Vista computer will need to support new security features otherwise no HD content ...

Exactly, and that's just another thing that confirms this what I said in my previous reply:

...New technology is pushing out the old one... we can not fight against that... we can simply go with the flow and spend some additional money from our pocket, or watch it and cry...

Btw, let's be realistic... how many standard middle-end users is concerned with HD Video / Sound ? If they feel like they are unable to perform all those necessary changes and buy new hardware, they can always stay with Windows XP. It's not like it's going to be outdated soon. I am sure Microsoft will still support XP many, many years in the future. Whatever some may say, Windows XP is still safest and most practical OS version (Windows) ever. Vista is going to change that for the better, but still... people using XP, not ready for those changes are not going to be forgotten. They will have all those security updates and other stuff, they will still have Microsoft support available, so no point in thinking like it's the end of the World when Vista comes out.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Staind

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2006, 08:26:52 PM »
I wonder how their new anti-piracy software will deal in Canada - where downloading and uploading music is legal, and downloading music and software is legal (just not uploading)?

CharleyO

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2006, 05:01:06 PM »

While the article in the link below is not very in-depth, it does give a bit more info into what will be needed for Vista.

http://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/news/story/1017/39472/648935

Even though I have an AMD 64 cpu, I'll not be switching to Vista for a year or two. I discovered years ago that the first version of almost any software has bugs and glitches. As examples, I did not switch from W95 until W98SE came out. And, I did not switch from W98SE until after XP/SP2 came out.    :)

I will say, though, that I appreciate all those who switch early and find the bugs/glitches for MS.    ;)  8)

ams

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2006, 05:55:34 PM »
I will upgrade, but probably not until service pack one is released.

watchthisspace

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2006, 02:35:50 PM »
Well, I might upgrade to Vista a year after it is released, or how I am doing at school and have a job so I can afford to upgrade to Vista, but for me Windows XP does everything that I need it to do, so maybe I will not end up getting Vista but get Vienna (codename I think) in 2010 when I have left High School and what I'll be doing at Uni or Polytech.

cyfer

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2006, 11:23:18 PM »
I am not a chicken, I am going for it. :D

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2006, 04:25:03 AM »
I am not so sure latest OSX would work on some old MAC machine, simply because of the graphical engine. No one can tell me different... ok, maybe it would work, but for sure it wouldn't be as smooth as it supposed to be.

Any Mac that has a G3(266Mhz and higher), G4, G5 or Intel Processor and  256MB of RAM or more and a firewire Port will Run Mac OS X tiger there is no video card requirement actually it runs pretty well on a 350Mhz G4 Machine if you have enough RAM (512MB)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay