Author Topic: [can be deleted] avast! with Windows 10  (Read 3443 times)

REDACTED

[can be deleted] avast! with Windows 10
« on: March 05, 2016, 05:28:49 PM »
Not a valid problem anymore. Found a not-so-regular way to disable Windows defender permanently.

Hi,
I've been using avast! Free on my desktop computer with Windows7 for years, and without any problems. But with my netbook, I simply chose not to use any antivirus, just surfed carefully with script blockers and avoided untrusted programs, and not encountered any problems so far, until I decided to upgrade to Windows 10.
It's a netbook with Atom processor and Windows Defender (and indeed many other processes like platform migration and license validation tools) is being a total CPU hog on this processor, I have to wait up to 10 minutes until the netbook becomes usable. Having read that installing 3rd party antivirus applications will turn off defender automatically, I installed avast!, but Windows Defender is not turned off automatically. I rebooted, ran a repair, performed a scan (first with avast! then with defender), uninstalled/reinstalled avast! but defender is still running. Avast seems to be lighter than WD but I can't disable WD and use only Avast.
In order to make it as lightweight as possible, I've chosen only file protection (guard? shield? whatever it is in the English GUI). Is that the reason? Can't I use just the file protection and live without Windows Defender and its definition updates? And if I can, how?
Edit: I've made a default install of avast! free and the problem persists. Windows Defender cannot be turned off permanently.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:58:00 PM by memet »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes

REDACTED

Re: avast! with Windows 10
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 05:47:10 PM »
Attempting to stop Windows Defender from services was the first thing in my to do list but unfortunately Windows 10 does not allow this. And once you disable it from the options in Update&Security, it turns itself on after a while (hence the warning: but we'll turn it back on automatically).

The options dialog that's under Win7/8 section ("Use this program" checbox) vnot seem to be present on Windows 10. Those methoods seem to be available only on Win7 and 8.

The other methods I tried:
I tried disabling WD by adding an entry to registry and by turning Windows Firewall of (I tried these before installing avast! free), but this time Windows Update started to nag me for unsuccesful virus definition updates. So forcing to turn WD off does not seem to be a viable option. I reverted back the changes I made and started to look for a 3rd party antivirus.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 06:30:25 PM by memet »

REDACTED

Re: avast! with Windows 10
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 02:03:08 PM »
Attempting to stop Windows Defender from services was the first thing in my to do

WD is going to protect against this...........in W10 did you not just try the attached/pic method ?

REDACTED

Re: [can be deleted] avast! with Windows 10
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 06:08:35 PM »
Like I said before, I did, but once you turn it off from the options in Update&Security, it turns itself on after a while. The real time protection dialog in your screenshot says it all: "but if it's off for a while we'll turn it back on automatically". It really slowed the netbook very much, that's why turning it off temporarily was not enough for me.