Author Topic: My computer is sending out spam and there is nothing I can do to stop it!  (Read 19502 times)

REDACTED

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."

I tried to open the log file but "access denied". What to do next? I'm not sure I understand how to repair the files manually, especially since I couldn't open the log file to see what was wrong.

Does it explain why I couldn't get Farbar to download without crashing my system, and why Zoek wouldn't work?

It may explain why I was having lots of Windows Explorer crashes recently. I did a system restore and that seemed to stop the crashes which is why I didn't mention it. It seemed unrelated to the spam issue because that's been going on since September, but the crashes just started a couple of weeks ago.

REDACTED

Was able to open the log by copying it my desktop. But I'm none the wiser for having done that. Would you like me to attach it, or is there anything in particular I should look for? It's quite long.
Thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Would you like me to attach
Yes, you attach requested logs

REDACTED

• Step # Repair Windows
    • Please download Windows Repair (All in one) to your Desktop from the link below.
      Click Here
    • Right click and choose Run as Administrator;
    • Accept the UAC warning to Allow the Program;

• Click on the Step 3 tab;

• Click the Do It button;
  • Click on the start repairs tab, and then Click start;
  • Select the following items and tick restart system when finished;

• Once complete reboot your PC.
[/list]

Offline Lotan

just to let you know i checked out that tool to see if it can fix my corrupt windows 10 and the UI is different to the pics. just to let you know to update them

REDACTED

Yes, you attach requested logs

Pondus, the log I was talking about had not been requested. Was asking for clarification. Thanks.

REDACTED

• Step # Repair Windows
    • Please download Windows Repair (All in one) to your Desktop from the link below.
      Click Here
    • Right click and choose Run as Administrator;
    • Accept the UAC warning to Allow the Program;
    • Click on the Step 3 tab;
    • Click the Do It button;
    • Click on the start repairs tab, and then Click start;
    • Select the following items and tick restart system when finished;
    • Once complete reboot your PC.

Valinorum, as the previous poster said, the screen shots are different, so with that warning, I managed to follow your directions for the most part. There wasn't a winsock option, but in its place is "repair network" so I checked that.

I have a second internal hard drive that I use for a backup drive, and it is trying to repair that as well. I did not see any options for which drives to check. I'm not even sure if there is much of an operating system on it, because all I ever do with it is to throw things on there and then later delete them. It's running every repair twice, but it's taking much longer on the second drive. I don't suppose I ought to stop it? Anyway, unless you tell me not to, I'll keep it going, even if it takes another 24 hours.
Thanks for your help.

REDACTED

Valinorum, windows repair has been running for 8.5 hours and is only on 7 of 21 repairs. Is this expected behaviour? I'm not sure what to do now.

REDACTED

Looking at the progress right now, it seems to be stuck on the repair of Internet Explorer which started about 5 hours ago. I just don't know what to do. Help!!!

I may regret this, but I decided to stop the repairs and restart the computer. I hope I haven't messed it all up. But the repair didn't seem to making any progress, and meanwhile the firewall and antivirus program was turned off.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:49:05 AM by WMdotcom »

REDACTED

Sorry, I was away. Due to so much hassle, it would be easier if you format and reinstall your OS.

REDACTED

Sorry, I was away. Due to so much hassle, it would be easier if you format and reinstall your OS.

Oh that's too bad. I don't think I'm up to that. Would it help to look at any of the log files that have been generated from all the messing around I've done?

Or, any other ideas?

REDACTED

Let me consult with my colleagues first. This is not something I suggest often.

REDACTED

Thank you. I just wanted to note that I don't have any other problems with this computer. Other than the spam and the recent Windows crashes I had that were fixed with a Windows restore, everything seems to be running normally. I encountered problems with Farbar which crashed my computer, and Zoek which for some reason I could not get access to run. But I was able to generate a log from system file checker, and the Windows Repair tool operated normally until it got to the IE repair. I am able to download and run software, like the Malwarebytes, so it seems overkill, and beyond my current ability to do a reformat.

I have been wondering if the spam I am apparently sending out is really coming from this computer. The mailer daemon/postmaster emails I am receiving for bounced emails are now coming back from people who are not in my contacts and some are in Italian.

If I can send anything else that would be helpful, such as the cbs log or any of the returned emails, please let me know. And thanks for your help.

Offline Lotan

just a thought but, could your email account be compromised?

REDACTED

just a thought but, could your email account be compromised?

Lotan, I have discussed it with my ISP (I don't use a hotmail-type email service), changed my email password several times, and even changed my internet account password. Have run all the antivirus and malware scans I can think of, and upgraded to paid versions in some cases. If it is my email account there is no way I can think of to detect it. I have 4 devices, and if one device is responsible, it is my desktop running Windows Vista. But I'm not really sure if it's malware on my computer, or if my address is being spoofed. The best advice I have so far is that it must be malware, undetected by aVast, MWB, and several other one-time online scans for malware.