Author Topic: Personal Information Compromised?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline bobby-11-07-09

Personal Information Compromised?
« on: March 06, 2016, 09:16:50 PM »
Last week I had all sorts of problems with W10; start,task bar,programs, etc.etc.  The worse or most alarming problem was that MS Office 2010 up and completely disappeared from my computer and all of my documents converted to Open Office.  I downloaded and reinstalled the office program and my files were all there. 

However, yesterday I got a call from my credit card co. asking me if I charged $ 1,602, to some company in the Ukraine. No, so , that card is cancelled and I've changed all of my passwords and security questions on the most important accounts except with Social Security.  With SS, I changed the password, but I forgot to change the security questions-so I tried to do that today and got frozen out; I assume because someone else had been trying to access my account today as well.

Is there some sort of exploit that deletes office and copies the files?  Or, is the credit card fraud probably just a coincidence?

Finally, I just installed WD backup software for it's drive and I inadvertently put my files in to the "cloud service" that it offers.
Is it still conventional wisdom that any information put in the cloud is at great risk?

Any suggestions and information will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Personal Information Compromised?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:18:55 PM »
I suggest you start with this > http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0