Author Topic: System drive on F: appears to be causing trouble  (Read 2367 times)

makaio

System drive on F: appears to be causing trouble
« on: January 02, 2006, 04:05:31 PM »
Hi!

I recently installed a new system on my machine. As I had already partitioned my drive before installing the system, Windiws chose to label my system partition F:. So far it appears to be working well and in my eyes there should be no reason why it shouldn't. Otherwise a system drive should not be allowed to be labeled with anything else than C:

Still, avast does not seem to be happy with it. I noticed that whenever I insert my flash drive, which is automatically assigned the C: label, the folder WINDOWS and TEMP are written to it. They have the folowing content:

TEMP (empty directory)

WINDOWS
-> TEMP
     -> _avast4_ (empty directory)
     -> Perflib_Perfdata_1fc.dat
     -> Perflib_Perfdata_274.dat

Looks to me like that path is hardcoded somewhere. Can I change that?

I also noticed that I get a warning that an update failed because some file could not be found every couple of hours. Could that be related to this problem, too? I can manually run (and complete) the updates without my flash drive inserted, though.

TIA

Matthias

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: System drive on F: appears to be causing trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 04:13:51 PM »
The Perflib_* files are written by Windows itself, they have nothing to do with avast! - i.e. I suspect there's a wrong setting somewhere.
I suggest to check the TEMP and TMP environment variables - are they set correctly?

makaio

Re: System drive on F: appears to be causing trouble
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 04:53:15 PM »
Well ... now that you asked I checked to make sure - and they weren't. Though, they were among the first things I changed after booting my system for the first time. Strange...

Changed the settings back - I'll see how the two behave from now on ;-)