Author Topic: Web Shield stops scrolling page until fully loaded  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
Web Shield stops scrolling page until fully loaded
« on: January 02, 2006, 03:37:56 PM »
When avast! WebShield is active I can't scroll down a web page until all elements (all images) are fully loaded (scrolling just don't work).

If I set WebShield in "Pause" mode (temporarily disabled). I can scroll down as normal even if all images are not loaded yet (empty frames).

Why is this happening?  Is there a way to "fix" this?
Either some settings in WebShield, or is there a bug in avast!?
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Web Shield stops scrolling page until fully loaded
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 03:46:57 PM »
What browser are you using, I was able to scroll down the Thread List of Pro/Home forum whilst the page was still loading. I'm on a dial-up connection (so my page may well take longer to load) and using firefox in conjunction with Web Shield.

The same is true with Maxthon, but there is a slight pause before I can scroll, but well before the page completes loading.

There is no pause setting as far as I'm aware in Web Shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 03:49:39 PM »
Use IE6 (latest update). I don't see this on all pages, but that might be becuase they load fast. It's most noticable on slow loading pages (while waiting for all images to load you can't scroll the page down).
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 03:53:26 PM »
Do you have the "Use intelligent stream scanning" option checked in Web Shield configuration?

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 03:55:53 PM »
Yep That's checked. Strange thing though. Now I tried "pausing" and "resuming" the WebShield. And after I did that it worked OK a while. Also tried disabling WebWasher but that didn't change anything (page loaded slower though with all the commercials back in place :-)

Umath

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 04:07:55 PM »
Web Washer is a web page filter which reduces commercials from the pages you are browsing, so, it is natural that it should slow down your browser when you disable it.

BTW, Lars-Eric, igor is one of Avast! team.  So, it would be suitable for you to pay attentions to what he says rather than I, though.

What browser are you using, I was able to scroll down the Thread List of Pro/Home forum whilst the page was still loading. I'm on a dial-up connection (so my page may well take longer to load) and using firefox in conjunction with Web Shield.

The same is true with Maxthon, but there is a slight pause before I can scroll, but well before the page completes loading.

Err...DavidR, you can choose pause Web Shield from pause provider option through right clicking Avast task tray icon.  This doesn't stop the proxy function of WS but prevent it scanning the contents.  Also, I think it is not the matter of the speed of the connection but that of the PC...

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 04:08:14 PM »
Here is a page to test with:  http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/

Other pages can usually be scrolled with WebShield on, but this one locks up completly until all items are loaded. And I don't know why.

Without WebShield it acts as other pages. Anyone see why?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 04:33:00 PM »

Err...DavidR, you can choose pause Web Shield from pause provider option through right clicking Avast task tray icon.  This doesn't stop the proxy function of WS but prevent it scanning the contents.  Also, I think it is not the matter of the speed of the connection but that of the PC...
My misinterpretation of what Lars was talking about, I thought he was on about pausing content, e.g. the loading of the page not pausing the Web Shield monitoring.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Umath

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 04:58:48 PM »
DavidR, I see.

And I thought I was replying in one thread.  How confusing.  ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 05:28:04 PM »
Most confusing ;D but not as confusing I think as your helping Lars with trying it integrate WebWasher into the filtering/monitoring loop of Web Shield and their proxies.

Umath

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 05:34:30 PM »
Lol.  Yes, chaining proxies are kind of tricky but I am doing the same thing with Proxomitron and wondering why it doesn't seem to work with Web Washer.  ???