Author Topic: Why I won't renew when my license expires in about 39 days  (Read 3921 times)

REDACTED

Why I won't renew when my license expires in about 39 days
« on: March 11, 2016, 03:31:24 AM »
I've used Avast free and at one point, I felt like: ''Why not pay?  I like them and they seem to work well.  I like some features,etc...''.  So I've had a paid version of Avast for 2+ years now.  You were the first anti-virus and firewall that I paid for.

I have been happy for most of our time together.  Lately (in the last month), I get a ton of popups from my avast icon trying to sell me crap.  I saw it the first time.  I don't want it.  I have other paid products for my keys or for malware or for ''grime''.  A popup every so often...fine.  When it's about 10-20 per week, my anti-virus and firewall is providing what I'm paying them to keep away from me.  So I will likely be going for Kaspersky or some other paid anti-virus/Firewall software when my license expires soon.  And you have nobody else but yourself to blame.  I don't want an apology from some poor worker who had nothing to do with what popups come up from the Avast tray icon.  They are not at fault and I know this.  So anyways, goodbye Avast.  I am letting you know because the first year and a half that I spent with you were quite good!  I did some research and these popups are a trend now and it doesn't seem like there is an end coming to it.  I have inside info and all that I will say is that I know this is a new sales tactic that doesn't really seem to be coming to an end any time soon.  So... I will not spend another year of this.  It's too bad because you do have a fairly good product.  If you stopped annoying at least your paying customers to purchase more than they have and more than once, you may not lose customers for this.  Had it been only 2-3 popups with ''Hey we have a new product...it's awesome check it out'', I would of checked it out and it would of been the end of it.  Now, it feels a bit like the aggressive car salesman.  I think you may want to rethink this strat for your paying customers because I know I'm not alone to be annoyed.  And trust me, I'm pretty patient...but when I'm at home on my PC writing or even playing a game, I like my peace.  Send me an email letting me know of your promotions.  I check that 2-3x per day.  If you have something that I want, I will get it!  If not, shoving it in my face all the time won't make me buy it more and it gives me a bad opinion of Avast as a whole.

REDACTED

Re: Why I won't renew when my license expires in about 39 days
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 03:35:57 AM »
PS: I know that some well-meaning person will show me how to turn off X popups.  I've turned some off already but for paying customers, they should come all turned off automatically and we should be asked if we want to turn on these popups.  I see what they did as abuse of our trust.  I did not agree to this when I first paid for Avast and I REALLY liked them because they didn't annoy me with stuff.  I set up all my options and I don't want to have to go turn off of deactivate every new feature they send me popups about.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 03:52:19 AM »
What popups, the only reason I paid for the Avast AV Pro over the free version is because it has an option to disable popups. Didn't ever get a single popup:

Offline Lotan

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 07:20:46 AM »
same, once i unchecked the box i have not got a single popup about other avast stuff.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 03:52:03 PM »
People with the paid version really shouldn't have to switch this cr4p off, it should be off by default.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 04:11:40 PM »
I have free (and old) version (7 - something) of Avast...

Never had any popups from Avast..

Wonder why...?
Oh, yea.. I do have great firewall :D :D :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 04:20:19 PM »
These type of popups weren't in avast 7 - as far as I'm aware - the practice then was they were in the bottom 1/3 of the avastUI and not intrusive.

So I guess it has little to do with your firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 04:52:08 PM »
These type of popups weren't in avast 7 - as far as I'm aware - the practice then was they were in the bottom 1/3 of the avastUI and not intrusive.

Yes you are right :)
Oh THANK YOUU :)
(Now I have one MORE reason to prevent update) :D

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 10:27:47 PM »
People with the paid version really shouldn't have to switch this cr4p off, it should be off by default.
+1

Ad campaign shouldn't  be there in the first place anyway.  Or somehow we don't know what we've installed or have running?   ???
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 03:07:03 PM »

The smart thing to do would be to have one popup at install to ask if the customer would like to be notified of certain things
offered by Avast. Give them an option to select the items they want to see.
If nothing is selected, no popups.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 09:56:25 AM »
Hi guys.  Sorry for the delay in response.  Thank you to whoever showed me the ''turn off popups window'' but this reminds me a lot of Windows 10 where you have to disable options to not be ''spied on''.  Is this the 2016 way?  When I first got Avast, I had it free for 10 days before I decided to pay for it.  It was light.  It was doing its job.  It was not annoying.  Many of my techie friends would rave about it-even in it's free from.  I remember a friend saying ''even the free anti-virus'' is better than some paid ones and I have to agree or did back then anyways.  I just reformatted and in installing Avast, it never asked me ''Hey paying customer who has supported us for years, do you want us to be nice and turn off adverts and annoying notifications for products that you didn't get because we trust you were smart enough to get what you wanted''.  I don't want your damn key thing.  I have Roboform.  I don't want your damn...  I paid for an anti-virus and a firewall.  If you are offering me more for free, then let me choose to turn it on or off.  For the rest, send me an email ONCE letting me know that you have a new feature and if I want it, I will buy it.  Bulking it with the program itself is stupid.  Anyways, I'm reading about best anti-viruses and firewall combos who are not intrusive...Trying to find sources that aren't clearly biased because when they put Norton as #1, I just LOLs and leave that website...But know that you went from being at the top of most lists to being there still but at the bottom from what I can see.  So you're not doing something right.  Figure your crap out.  Your new format sucks and I'm all for change.  This year, you will not retain me as a customer.  HOWEVER, I do not hold grudges over stuff like this.  I only wanted to share my opinion.  Some agree.  Some disagree. If you go back to a more light weight model for your paying customers as it was even last year or the year before, then I will do my year with someone else and would LOVE to come back to Avast.  You know that when people are unhappy, they tell a lot of people and when they are happy, they don't tell many people....Well I've told A LOT of friends over the years about the benefits of paying for Avast and told them to stop being cheapo's (these people could afford it) and to pay for it...Even if it was just to recognize the great service because let's face it, it was great.  Sadly, I have not recommended Avast in a few months now. 

TL:DR, us paying customers don't spend our money throwing it into the wind.  We pay for what we want.  Stop giving me bloatware avast.  If I want an extra feature, I will pay for it and then let me download it and add it on.  If not, it's just there taking space and being annoying.