Author Topic: e-mail  (Read 4975 times)

retardstrength

« on: April 18, 2005, 06:09:38 AM »
i have just recently started using the home edition. Everytime I send an e-mail from any of my accounts I get a warning for a suspicious message. It says that a possible virus has been detected. It also happens when I receive e-mails from certain friends of mine. Is there a way to stop this from happening?? My e-mail client is Outlook Express.

Hopismum

Re: e-mail
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 07:11:04 AM »
i have just recently started using the home edition. Everytime I send an e-mail from any of my accounts I get a warning for a suspicious message. It says that a possible virus has been detected. It also happens when I receive e-mails from certain friends of mine. Is there a way to stop this from happening?? My e-mail client is Outlook Express.

Open Outlook Express
Click Tools
Click Options
Click the Security Tab
See if   "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus"  is checked.

If so.. uncheck it

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 03:06:56 PM »
Try to give us more information about the content of the suspicious message, it should say it is suspicious I believe.

This is the Heuristic checking of the mail scanner at work, you can try lowering the sensitivity in the Internet Mail provider, Heuristics Tab. However, before lowering the sensitivity it would be advisable to find why it is being flagged as suspicious. Treat the disease not the symptoms, find that and put that right, rather than avoid the message (as they say don't shoot the messenger).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

retardstrength

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 03:06:17 AM »
it's not the message. it happens whenever something is typed. if it's just an attachment it doesn't happen. If I send an e-mail to someone and all i type is "hi" it gives me the virus alert. it's not on my cpu. i just re formatted.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 03:24:17 AM »
it's not the message. it happens whenever something is typed. if it's just an attachment it doesn't happen. If I send an e-mail to someone and all i type is "hi" it gives me the virus alert. it's not on my cpu. i just re formatted.

If you disable 'all' kind of Heuristics, does the message continue to appear?
The best things in life are free.

Stuart P

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 02:57:28 PM »
i am getting the exact same problem eg 'avast virus warning suspicious message'
so far it has been superb to have avast on my pc but now this occurs with nearly every message  ??? what do i need to do to get rid?

stuart
uk

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 02:59:35 PM »
What do i need to do to get rid?
Solve the problem and not the sympthoms...
Maybe you can add the following line to the [MailScanner] section of <avast>\data\avast4.ini:
Log=20
Then generate some traffic, simulate the problem (i.e. force the avast mail scanner to time out by sending an email with attachment) and then post here the contents of the file <avast>\data\log\aswMaiSv.log

Details: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12234.msg103474#msg103474
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 03:36:40 PM »
i am getting the exact same problem eg 'avast virus warning suspicious message'
Does it not tell you what is suspicious about the email? - iFrame, white space, No Subject, etc.
What is in the avast Log Viewer (right click avast icon, 'avast Log Viewer') under the Warning section?
Please give us the full content of the warning or a screen shot of the warning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security