Author Topic: Avast initiates daily Windows shutdown  (Read 2164 times)

REDACTED

Avast initiates daily Windows shutdown
« on: March 12, 2016, 09:38:36 PM »
I'm troubleshooting a problem on a computer running Avast Free 2015, 10.4.2233.  The computer is shutting down on a nightly basis. This is a normal windows shutdown, not an immediate power off such as what might be caused by heat.

Looking through the system logs, I found the following:

The process C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe (HP-DC7900) has initiated the shutdown of computer HP-DC7900 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Legacy API shutdown
 Reason Code: 0x80070000
 Shutdown Type: shutdown
 Comment:

I found one thread here, fairly old that suggested it was doing this at the end of the scheduled scan.  I've checked this, and there is no scheduled scan set up and the option is unchecked.

Does anybody know why Avast would do this, and how to stop it?  The computer owner has already paid someone else, who couldn't figure it out, and I'd like to make sure she doesn't take it to someone else to look at (which will cost her more money). 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

8) Eric the Grey

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast initiates daily Windows shutdown
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 10:00:53 PM »
Update to the latest version (2016.11.1.2253): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=182468
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 10:40:17 PM »
1. I'm troubleshooting a problem on a computer running Avast Free 2015, 10.4.2233.
The process C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe (HP-DC7900) has initiated the shutdown of computer HP-DC7900 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
3. for the following reason: Legacy API shutdown
Hi Eric!

To 1: I'm using that avast! version on 2 old machines, which I transferred to other seniors. Since
         then I never had issues like that.
To 2: Seems so, that avast! didn't cause the shutdowns, only initiated them!!!
To 3: 'Legacy API' points to a driver error! So you better look here:
                    --> 'Tools manager' or something like that. You should find 'missing' or 'wrong' drivers.
                     (See also my screenshot)! Finding it depends on your operating system!

HDW

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 11:27:12 PM »

Something more about 'Legacy API' (see the 3 screenshots).
 ;)
HDW