Author Topic: SafeZone questions  (Read 5523 times)

REDACTED

SafeZone questions
« on: March 23, 2016, 04:54:58 PM »
As many other people here I do not like when someone install something on my PC without my authorization. Getting SafeZone was an unpleasant surprise for me. I wish at least I could receive a notification with some explanation of what's happening before it got installed.

Anyway,  I'm not completely satisfied with the browser I have now, so I'm willing to give it a try. But I have some questions.

Info :
avast is giving the SafeZone browser to a limited amount of people who are using the free version of avast.
The reason is that they want more people to test it and get feedback about the browser.

1. First of all, does this mean that after some testing period the browser will disappear from my PC in the same way it appeared? Together with all my saved bookmarks, passwords, etc?

2. How can I switch off the option to use address bar as a search bar? When I need to find something I go directly to the web site I prefer and make search from their main page, also because I need other features they provide (text search, image search, translate, and/or map search). It greatly annoys me when the browser starts searching, makes me wait, and gives me all the ridiculous results just because I mistyped something.

3. How can I remove the search engines? I especially hate this Bing malware which is very difficult to remove. Each time it installed itself on my PC I had to search and manually remove all the traces from the registry. Unfortunately, it keeps crawling into my PC. I really hoped that sooner or later the anti-viruses would start removing it...

4. How can I open several windows? Normally I use 3-4 windows and each window would have 5-20 tabs dedicated to a particular subject. If I can't do it with SafeZone, that it is no use for me.

5. How can I remove Shortcuts icon and set Home page to a blank page? I went to Settings > ON STARTUP > Open a specific page or set of pages > Set pages > about:blank . Now if I open a new window I get a blank page, but if I open new tab (pressing that plus sign), it always opens a page with the shortcuts and a search bar.

6. Is is possible to remove the Shortcuts completely? I don't see big difference between the Shortcuts and Bookmarks. And, I see I can save all opened tabs in a Shortcuts folder, but can I save them on Bookmarks menu or Bookmarks toolbar? If not, than can I copy Shortcuts folder into Bookmarks menu and Bookmarks toolbar?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: SafeZone questions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 10:17:05 PM »
Hello SophistiKosha,

I changed the post that you quoted from a bit as new information was released after I posted.

1]
There is no test period.
So no, it will not disappear unless you install it.

2]
Not possible to disable it.
If I'm not mistaken, it is build into Chromium (the engine that the SafeZone Browser is build on).

3]
Check the FAQ, it may tell you.

4]
Try to open multiple instances of the SafeZone Browser.
If you can't, I would say it is not possible to open (as you call it) several windows.

5]
Check the FAQ.
I don't know if it is possible or not and can't check it.
I use the business cloud version and it doesn't have the SafeZone Browser.

6]
See 5]

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 11:45:12 AM »
Hi, I have a question. I liked Safe Zone browser, but today my computer crushed and then SafeZone browser disappeared, I looked under tools in settings and it is not there, and I would like to know if ther is anyway I could instal browser again?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 11:46:31 AM »
Repair Avast:
1. Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> Avast
2. Click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 11:53:35 AM »
Repair Avast:
1. Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> Avast
2. Click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.

Thank you, but that did not work

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »
Thank you, but that did not work
- Which Avast..? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
- Which version..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 04:04:44 PM »

- Which Avast..? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
- Which version..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
[/quote]

I somehow managed to get it back. Thank you for your help

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 04:07:03 PM »
You're welcome.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 02:15:22 PM »
Hi Eddy, thanks for answering me.

I found that although I cannot open several windows from the shortcut on my desktop, I can still do it if I pin that shortcut to the taskbar or if I use the menu in the already opened window.

About my questions, I looked thought the FAQ, Help and forum before posting here, but couldn't find the answers. I tried to use SafeZone exclusively during all this time, however, combined address/search bar and Shortcuts make it unusable, so I'm giving up.