Author Topic: Secureline "STAND ALONE" Version  (Read 11473 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Secureline "STAND ALONE" Version
« on: March 15, 2016, 05:48:21 PM »
I've been using Secureline VPN from it's inception. I participated in the "Stand Alone" beta.
Last year I purchase an HP Envy Laptop that had Secureline VPN PRE-installed.
Since that time the software on the HP has updated once, however another installation of Secureline  on a second production machine has not in over a year. The version numbers are different.

Someone from Avast, Please what is the latest version number of Secureline Stand Alone VPN?

It would be appreciated if someone could take the time to clarify this for me.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
Re: Secureline "STAND ALONE" Version
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 02:56:37 PM »
Hi Schmidthouse,

The standalone version is build 281.

The version you have on your HP machine is part of a pre-load OEM agreement with HP.  It has slightly different parameters in terms of trial length and messaging frequency.  The other standalone (I suppose that is what you have on the other product machine) was not synchronized with the HP build for that reason, so the updates would appear differently.

However, we've just done a micro update to synchronize the builds no matter if they are OEM or not.  Those specifics I mentioned (trial length, messaging frequency) remain unique but the underlying client functions can now be updated all at once instead of one build at a time.

Does this help?  Please let me know if you have any further questions on this and I'll try my best to clear them up.

Davidek

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »
Thank you Davidek, finally some clarification.
Maybe this further information will help show you the confusion from my end!
So the current download version from the StandAlone download Link is: 1.0.244.0 and has been since before December 2015
Neither one of my StandAlone Secureline installations are build .281 as you have informed, and the version from the 'direct download link' (1.0.244.0) on one machine since before Dec. 2015 has not updated.

SNIP>"Does this help?  Please let me know if you have any further questions on this and I'll try my best to clear them up."

Davidek

My Question:
So how does  a user benefit from the latest version developments when the current download link is an old version/Build and the software program is not updating internally to Build 281??

Or is it that I am totally misunderstanding the information you provided?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:09:29 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline HK

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 01:53:13 PM »
Hi Schmidthouse,

update check is performed once a day so SecureLine standalone should definitely update to 281 version at least one day after installation. If not please run slupdate.exe file located in c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\SecureLine\ folder.

Regards,
HK

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 05:48:54 PM »
Hi Schmidthouse,

update check is performed once a day so SecureLine standalone should definitely update to 281 version at least one day after installation. If not please run slupdate.exe file located in c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\SecureLine\ folder.

Regards,
HK

Thanks for the response/support HK
I see after checking 'properties' of Secureline installation that the vesion indeed shows Build 281.
Any notification of update (if any) must have slipped by  ???

In any case no worries :)