Author Topic: NEW: RC release 11.2.2257 is out  (Read 26117 times)

Offline Be Secure

• Long Time Avast User(10years.....) Security Enthusiast.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: NEW: RC release 11.2.2257 is out
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 03:25:26 AM »
+ Silent Update process is ready
What is it?
PC- Windows10 EDU 64Bit,avast! free 21.1.2449,uBlock Origin,NVT_OSA,GoogleChrome(64bit),CCleaner,Unchecky,ZAM Free,Shadow Defender.
Security Enthusiast

Offline Konstantinos13

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 04:35:51 PM »
i think that after update to version 11.2.2257,things are much better now,i've got faster startup.good work Avast

Offline hectic-mmv

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 07:53:08 PM »
What is it?

Will be described in final release notes. Shortly, for future versions of Avast we would like that Avast updates automatically, silently by default. Previous update settings will be preserved.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 08:23:52 PM »
What is it?

Will be described in final release notes. Shortly, for future versions of Avast we would like that Avast updates automatically, silently by default. Previous update settings will be preserved.

Given the adverse user reaction of the silent (background) installation of the SafeZone Browser. I would be very wary about taking that step, you only have to browse the forums to see the anger about this.

We have also seen the reaction forums in the past, to forced program updates from old avast versions - even when updates were set to Manual Update.

What is the urgency/reason to even contemplate silent program updates.

Personally I hate forced program updates in any program, it is my system and I would like to control what happens on it and when.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 08:35:50 PM »
What is it?

I update almost everything manually, so if silent update is forced, I'll look for something else.

Offline hectic-mmv

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 08:49:12 PM »
What is it?

Given the adverse user reaction of the silent (background) installation of the SafeZone Browser. I would be very wary about taking that step, you only have to browse the forums to see the anger about this.

We have also seen the reaction forums in the past, to forced program updates from old avast versions - even when updates were set to Manual Update.

Personally I hate forced program updates in any program, it is my system and I would like to control what happens on it and when.

We should do better communication about SafeZone Browser launch.

Silent option will be default. If you decide to change it to manual, we gonna keep this change for future releases.

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 09:11:40 PM »
With the launch of Safezone browser, I came really close to removing Avast from every single PC, and Android Phones, but so far trying to stick it out a little longer, still have to finish removing SafeZone browser on Windows 10 Desktop, left over folders and such.    Not sure if keeping it on any other of the machines that got it or not. 

So will this silent updating be for only Definitions in the future or Program updates or both?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 10:24:52 PM »
What is it?

Silent option will be default. If you decide to change it to manual, we gonna keep this change for future releases.
I'm a bit puzzled ??? Having just shot oneself in one foot, Will shooting yourself in the other foot make things better ???
This almost sounds like a how to book on committing ones self destruction.  :'(
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 10:34:25 PM »
What is it?

I'm a bit puzzled ??? Having just shot oneself in one foot, Will shooting yourself in the other foot make things better ???
<snip>

Well the limp won't be so noticeable having shot the other foot.

@ hectic-mmv
In all seriousness though, as I asked earlier:
What is the urgency/reason/benefit to even contemplate silent program updates ?

For most people they won't like that as we have seen in the past. But my major concern is these updates invariably occur shortly after boot (seen instup.exe in task manager lots and it is a bit of a hog) for those that shutdown systems at night. There really has to be a reasonable delay after boot to let the system settle down.

Also if these silent updates come in and as it is now program updates require a reboot, how will this requirement be handled or will there not be a reboot requirement ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 11:32:32 PM »
I'm staying with 2245 until all this nonsense shakes out, one way or another.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2016, 11:51:33 PM »
People with Windows XP, Vista or 7 can't install it if the system doesn't support the SSE2 instruction set.
This means millions of users can't use the latest avast version. :(

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2016, 11:52:25 PM »
I am still happy with an automatic update every 240 minutes.
Besides the SafeZone browser surprise all is working correctly.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 02:43:39 AM »
I do wonder if the DNS resolver issues and stuck application threads were fixed ;)

cause I'm totally not sure ... so let's see
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline heikwith

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2016, 09:08:09 AM »
Certificate problem with  avast 11.2.2257 in windows 10 build 14279.
No problem with avast disabled.

Offline hectic-mmv

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2016, 12:02:28 PM »
What is it?

<snip>

Well the limp won't be so noticeable having shot the other foot.

@ hectic-mmv
In all seriousness though, as I asked earlier:
What is the urgency/reason/benefit to even contemplate silent program updates ?

For most people they won't like that as we have seen in the past. But my major concern is these updates invariably occur shortly after boot (seen instup.exe in task manager lots and it is a bit of a hog) for those that shutdown systems at night. There really has to be a reasonable delay after boot to let the system settle down.

Also if these silent updates come in and as it is now program updates require a reboot, how will this requirement be handled or will there not be a reboot requirement ?

In a past we used to release new version each 3-4 version per year. Newly, we would like to release new version every month. Its inconvenient to ask for reboot so often so thats why silent updates are introduced. This brings us to opportunity to react on issues in a shorter time.

About reboot. Good point, update should be planned not immediately after reboot. To apply all the changes update requires reboot and there will be reboot request after certaion amount of time without reboot which is remotely configurable.