Author Topic: What is asww10mon.exe? Process currently running from Avast directory.  (Read 10888 times)

REDACTED

Re: What is asww10mon.exe? Process currently running from Avast directory.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 12:05:51 AM »
so I manually deleted every single file
Don't forget to remove things from the registry

I did. I also noticed programs which I've uninstalled "correctly" a long time ago was still in the registry.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 12:12:11 AM »
Everything looks legit in the details. Also worth to mention is that it was created today probably around the time I uninstalled the skinpack program. But I would still feel more comfortable if someone verified that it is actually legit.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:34:34 PM by mkvamm »

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 05:08:30 AM »
This mysteriously appeared today on my system too. According to the Task Manager it's called "Windows 10 Start Menu Helper" which makes no sense, as Avast doesn't run from the start menu anyway.  Trying to kill the task fails, so it would seem Avast is protecting it from being stopped. But it's very odd it just appeared with no update to Avast at all occurring recently. I check the task list daily and I've never seen it before today.

It also seems to have been added to the Task Scheduler, set to run at the logon of any user. Disabling that. the last thing I need is more crap running for no reason.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:15:15 AM by volfin »

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 05:29:19 AM »
Silent update added by the emergency update process?  Something to do with Windows 10 start menu/search/taskbar issues ?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 12:13:39 PM »
This mysteriously appeared today on my system too. According to the Task Manager it's called "Windows 10 Start Menu Helper" which makes no sense, as Avast doesn't run from the start menu anyway.  Trying to kill the task fails, so it would seem Avast is protecting it from being stopped. But it's very odd it just appeared with no update to Avast at all occurring recently. I check the task list daily and I've never seen it before today.

It also seems to have been added to the Task Scheduler, set to run at the logon of any user. Disabling that. the last thing I need is more crap running for no reason.

How did you find it in the Task Scheduler? Have never used it before.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »

How did you find it in the Task Scheduler? Have never used it before.

Found it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 12:19:17 PM by mkvamm »

Offline sj.vegetto

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 07:10:28 PM »
I noticed this today too, Avast was not update (core) but this asww10mon.exe was there today is Avastemergency task now silently installing things?? I have delete the task till i know what this is

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 08:07:51 PM »
The file is genuine.

Its purpose is to allow us to finally crush the long-standing Cortana issue (see e.g. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=174748.0). We now have a few hypotheses as to why it's happening, and the purpose of this program is to confirm/deny them and get us some additional insights into what's actually happening "out there".

I don't think it has any meaningful performance or memory-usage impact; in general, we'd have code like this in the main AvastSvc.exe service, but in this particular case there were some good reasons to have it as a standalone process.

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline sj.vegetto

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 09:54:32 PM »
what long standing issue you talking about? cause that thread talking about alot things.. i know legit file I want to know why it pop today and made its self task at same time i installed update to cyberfox 64bit

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 10:00:15 PM »
The "Start menu and Cortana not working" issue that has been haunting our Windows 10 users since the very moment Windows 10 was released last July.
See e.g. http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/372745-windows-10-start-menu-cortana-not-working-fix-here-hopefully.html and tons of other resources on the Internet.

We still very much believe it's not a bug in Avast, but we have been busy building a case for Microsoft to prove that.

Thanks,
Vlk

Offline sj.vegetto

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2016, 10:06:59 PM »
I know there were issue where startmenu didnt want open and other issue like that but most them been fixed, ( had to reinstalled win 10 few times cause this and could not fix) which has nothing to do avast anyway.

Only issue I have with Startmenu and Cortana at this point is Every time I open the startmenu ( live tiles menu all app menu) Cortana and com surrogate start eating 8-10% cpu each, which seem excessive for  a startmenu,  which when operating correctly and is closes should release that cpu usage, but it seem to be getting stuck and not releasing the cpu usage, which requires me to  open close the startmenu bunch time to get it to released the cpu usage.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2016, 10:31:21 PM »
Don't get me wrong. Not every user of W10 has this issue with Avast. Not even by far.
But what we're doing with the asww10mon process is that we're proactively monitoring for this issue so that we can capture the stack traces and other critical system information at the moment the problem occurs (that is, should it occur). Now, the odds of it happening on YOUR machine are pretty low, so if you absolutely hate the idea of having this process running on your PC, you can probably just detele the scheduled task and we won't have any hard feelings about it, but as I said, the performance impact of this should be minimal so it shouldn't really matter either way.

Thanks for your help!
Vlk

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 10:36:23 PM »
The file is genuine.

Its purpose is to allow us to finally crush the long-standing Cortana issue (see e.g. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=174748.0). We now have a few hypotheses as to why it's happening, and the purpose of this program is to confirm/deny them and get us some additional insights into what's actually happening "out there".

I don't think it has any meaningful performance or memory-usage impact; in general, we'd have code like this in the main AvastSvc.exe service, but in this particular case there were some good reasons to have it as a standalone process.

Hope this helps,
Vlk

Thanks for the confirmation.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 10:42:44 PM »
Don't get me wrong. Not every user of W10 has this issue with Avast. Not even by far.
But what we're doing with the asww10mon process is that we're proactively monitoring for this issue so that we can capture the stack traces and other critical system information at the moment the problem occurs (that is, should it occur). Now, the odds of it happening on YOUR machine are pretty low, so if you absolutely hate the idea of having this process running on your PC, you can probably just detele the scheduled task and we won't have any hard feelings about it, but as I said, the performance impact of this should be minimal so it shouldn't really matter either way.

Thanks for your help!
Vlk
Thanks for the reply and clarification Ondrej,
As one of the most prolific posters on this forum on this Windows bug, I would love to see this finally pinned down. :)

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline sj.vegetto

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2016, 06:55:53 PM »
well cause of the process poping up which cause me to come here, which in turn made me read all the link and stuff in here, I manage to fix the issue I was having with cortana and com surrogate both eating 8~10% each every time  startmenu was opened.

One of those links said something about doing diagnostic startup in msconfig, so i did upon reboot cortana was only use .02% when start menu was open, I went back to msconfig and put back normal startup and reboot and startmenu and cortana are still behaving and only using .02% usage when start menu is open.

First time in 3+ months startmenu  has not cuased cortana and com surrogate to  eat 8~10% usage each., which good thing I Was gona  uninstall avast to see if it avast causing, but seeing booting up into safe mode dont even start avast and startmenu and cortana where behaving correctly, I didnt have to if i did uninstall avast i might tried bit defender again.

So avast  silent installing and starting to run proc turn out to be good thing for me, go fiqure