Author Topic: how do I restore a program Avast removed because it was "suspicious"  (Read 2686 times)

REDACTED

The instructions I found says the file was put in the "virus chest" but I thought the message said it was in the "archive" or something that beings with an "a". I've searched in explorer and can't find either "virus chest" or "archive" anywhere in the Avast folder. Another forum post said it was under "AL software" or some software that begins with an "A" in the programs files folder, but I don't have anything similar in name in that folder either. I've gone through the Avast app itself and can't find a way to access this folder, whatever it's called, to restore a file. Can someone please tell me how to find wherever the file was moved and restore it?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: how do I restore a program Avast removed because it was "suspicious"
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:05:03 PM »
Hi right click the Avast icon and select Virus chest
Once in the chest right click the file and select restore

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:07:46 PM »
Thank you both so much. Those instructions weren't what was shown in the help section within my avast software. And I had gone to the scan page, but hadn't clicked on Scan Virus as I thought that would automatically run a scan, so I didn't see the next page showing the virus chest option.

Thanks again!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:16:48 PM »
You can't actually see or access the avast Virus Chest from explorer, files are encrypted and the file name would also be changed. This is to prevent it being run somehow from outside of the virus chest.

If you haven't had another alert or rebooted the system since this incident, you can right click on the avast tray icon and select 'Show last popup message.'

There is a possibility that Restore will only result in another avast alert - if you don't select Restore and add to exclusions - but you would have be certain it isn't infected. Otherwise adding to exclusions could put you at risk.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security