Author Topic: SafeZone browser installed itself.  (Read 11301 times)

REDACTED

SafeZone browser installed itself.
« on: March 22, 2016, 06:06:01 PM »
Hi, i just turned on my PC and noticed that Avasts SafeZone browser installed itself, is this normal for Avast AV?. I've uninstalled it using the advice on the forum but just wanted to  double check just in case.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 01:00:33 PM by Ib Aperson »

REDACTED

Re: SafeZone browser installed itself.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 06:38:23 PM »
I had the same issue today. I clearly remember that I didn't install it on purpose. The second annoying thing is that it doesn't appear in the "Installed programs" list, so I have to go through antivirus modification menu.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 07:17:28 PM »
Some users of the free version of avast are getting it for free.
Why or who is something I do not know.
I would say, enjoy the free gift from avast :D

Ofcourse it isn't in the list of installed programs because it is part of avast, not a separate application.

Information about the SafeZone Browser > https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB209

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:46:41 PM »
Its a headache since I don't want it, nor do I need it.  Hardly a free gift, its more like malicious activity.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 11:28:18 PM »
Same here.  Installed without asking or notifying me.  >:(
Not the first time Avast silently installed some "tools" or "gifts".  But I'll make sure now it was the last.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 11:32:40 PM »
One of the program updates introduced this during an update from the UI, this really shouldn't have happened.

Because previously I hadn't selected it; so my guess when this was introduced to the free version (and not for paid versions) avast added it to the program update. I know it did appear some time ago in a previous beta build, but I removed it after the beta.

Had I not been notified by WinPatrol of a new scheduled task I would have been none the wiser as the SafeZone Browser hadn't appeared when visiting banking sites.

Those that don't want it can use the Control Panel > Programs and Features > Avast Uninstall > Change - from the next screen, Modify and remove it from the options.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lucD

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 11:46:35 PM »
 I use custom install to make the choice not to install the un-needed bells and whistles, if Avast is circumventing my selections then how can I be sure that it won't just try to re-install itself tomorrow?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:49:14 PM by lucD »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 11:52:56 PM »
Do as I suggested remove it from the program options and check the images.

It was added because previously this was only a premium product, but has been introduced to the free version.

Personally I feel this should not have been delivered in this way but in the next avast program update, when people could have been informed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lucD

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 11:58:04 PM »
Personally I feel this should not have been delivered in this way but in the next avast program update, when people could have been informed.
Agreed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 12:12:43 AM »
Basically I feel it should have followed the regular program updates 'Notify' of a program update (not Auto Update) so people are aware of it before the fact not after the fact.

Considering there is a beta testing session ongoing, it can't be too far off before there is a program update (avast 2016 11.2.xxxx).

This certainly can't be considered an emergency for it to be included behind the scenes in the same way as an emergency program update.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 07:10:38 AM »
Exactly.

In a parallel thread, Eddy said I/we did accepted this behaviour by accepting the EULA.
But this is not how I read it, I understood this means that EXISTING components are silently adapted to detect new threats, not that new components can be added at will.  If I was wrong, it means that Avast is the wrong product for me.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying the safe zone browser is bad or anything.  It's just the "shut up and eat" attitude that makes me walk away.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 08:50:03 AM »
The SZ Browser appeared on my desktop today and I don't recall allowing it to be installed.

So, I solved the problem of how to get rid of Avast's SZ Browser by uninstalling all Avast programs on my 7 computers/tablets/Android cell phones.

Then I installed AVG free.

Problem solved.

Goodbye Avast, its been good to know ya these past many years. Too bad you took advantage of your customers. This customer is gone.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 10:33:06 AM »
Avast conceptors, you got very clumsy with that one.

Ok.
We all that complain are running the FREE edition of Avast. This basically means we could be considered as parasites if Avast did not get any return value for this provided service (and of course we are not : Avast claims overall protection offers more protection to paying customers, so we all free users are part of AVAST commercial argumentation, which is a rather fair deal).

Ok.
There are EULA that I agreed on at some point (thanks Eddy for so clumsily reminding it in another thread : you often can point the faulty side by checking which hides behind the bigger lawyer team)

However.
There are things you are allowed to do, you definitely should avoid, just like assuming your wife is always happy with your hand on her skin, because she said once yes "for the better and the worse".
It's not a question of violating any rule, rather fading trust and lacking panache and gallantry.

Moreover, this attitude is counter productive :
How far can I trust a security suite that changes the usual behavior of my computer without notifying ?
The first thing unusual behavior means to me is possible viral infection. Then it immediatly launches a vast action plan to measure the exact level of compromission (if any) and ensure nothing can go worse, making me loosing in the process a lot of time I could better use. Discovering that this is the very software I relied on for my safety, that causes all this extra concern about it, is just so disappointing...

So, ok, I certainly gave you the authorization to do so once in the past through an obscure alinea lost somewhere in the deeper sections of EULA, but with common sense and less clumsiness, you wouldn't have tarnished your own corporate image, rather improved it.

A single notification would have avoided all this ! Too bad for you you did not think it that way.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 10:41:13 AM »
I was using Avast antivirus free, but also paid to use their VPN service for PC and Android. Those are separate services, so I paid twice to use them. They have not only lost a free-loading customer, but also a paying customer; me. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 10:57:21 AM »