Author Topic: SafeZone browser installed itself  (Read 158213 times)

Offline Skakara

Re: SafeZone browser installed itself
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2016, 09:48:53 PM »
Just removed the module and during the uninstall I saw a "uninstalling kernel driver" text go by. Why does a browser need a kernel driver? What driver(s)? What does SafeZone browser actually do?

This was an annoying experience. Because of sneak install and now uninstalling, I have to reboot! (I don't reboot often and it's a pain when required because I have lots of programs open and I have to save & close all and then open all again and set things the way they were before)

REDACTED

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2016, 10:15:02 PM »
So I am trying to understand what we actually did wrong.
I would really appreciate if you could help me understand this better.

Thanks much,
Vlk
Vik, as a person who has used Avast for nearly a decade (since mid 2006) this truly is one of the company's biggest mistakes.

Like it is for so many people this is the straw that broke the camels back and is making me leave Avast.

I was not notified, asked, or otherwise prompted regarding the installation of this new "feature". I did not ask for this new "feature". I will not use this new "feature", ever. Really the only reason I am even on this forum right now is to express to you just how badly you have betrayed the trust of your users with this decision.

Goodbye Avast

Edit: Further, yes having to reboot to remove this crap when obviously you didnt force a reboot to install it is absolutely infuriating.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:17:13 PM by Subverted »

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2016, 10:29:24 PM »
Since I didn't have Chromium/Blink based browser installed, I guess I'll keep SafeZone browser.
I don't like that I can't install Chrome extensions. I tried to install uBlock Origin since built in adblocker is too basic.
Also I would like to install Tampermonkey or Violentmonkey (Opera extension) because of some useful user scripts (AntiAdware,AdsBypasser,Anti-Adblock Killer|Reek,
Google Redirect Remover etc.).
Like someone before I also noticed that it is possible to uninstall SafeZone browser with iObit unistaller (old portable version).

Offline SimmonsTheMad33

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2016, 10:36:02 PM »
While I think its awesome that the Avast team decided to make their SafeZone Browser available for all, I dont approve of a feature that is optional in the installer being installed in the background without my permission. EULA or not.

Maybe next time have Avast popup with a message with said news and explain what makes said feature so great and why we should use it and give us the option to agree or disagree to an installation.

On a side note, I highly approve of the ability to modify the Avast installation from "Programs and Features/Change". I did not know this was a thing until this happened.

Thank you.

Motherboard- Asus Z390 Maximus XI Hero / CPU- 8700K / RAM- 32GB DDR4 2666 / GPU- GTX 1070 FE / NVME- Corsair MP510 240GB / Windows 10 64 Home

REDACTED

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2016, 11:14:02 PM »
I was forewarned about this covert installation from security forums. I too would have liked a bit of warning or a yes/no install option. Having said that, if it is safer for online monetary transactions I'll very probably keep it. I always thought Chrome was the most secure, but I believe it's also the most targeted as well.

Is it my imagination or is Avast SafeZone very similar to Opera?  ;)

Oh yeah, I'm not too keen on the fonts! lol

REDACTED

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2016, 11:17:39 PM »
I was forewarned about this covert installation from security forums. I too would have liked a bit of warning or a yes/no install option. Having said that, if it is safer for online monetary transactions I'll very probably keep it. I always thought Chrome was the most secure, but I believe it's also the most targeted as well.

It is probably less secure than standard Chrome. Google engineers have even had to tell Avast about critical vulnerabilities in their "SafeZone": https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=679&redir=1

Its reasonable to expect there are other serious security holes in their fork of chromium as well.

REDACTED

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2016, 11:26:22 PM »

It is probably less secure than standard Chrome. Google engineers have even had to tell Avast about critical vulnerabilities in their "SafeZone": https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=679&redir=1

Its reasonable to expect there are other serious security holes in their fork of chromium as well.

That doesn't look good.  :o

REDACTED

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2016, 11:47:15 PM »
Hi, i just turned on my PC and noticed that Avasts SafeZone browser installed itself, is this normal for the free version of Avast AV?. I've uninstalled it using the advice on the forum but just wanted to  double check just in case it isn't normal.

Also posted this in the SafeZone forum, but seems less active.
Some free version of Avast are lucky and get SafeZone.

I'd hardly say I was lucky Avast tried to install a browser without my consent and created several directories and files I can't delete because they are locked.

REDACTED

« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2016, 12:40:27 AM »
Please let me step back and understand one thing. SafeZone is a product feature, one that we have had in the paid versions of Avast for 4+ years, and one that has been a key differentiator between free and paid editions of the product.

Now, we have made the feature available in the free version of the product as well. Frankly, we were expecting people to be excited, but most of the feedback has been negative. So I am trying to understand what we actually did wrong.

I assume the main problem is not that we have extended the feature set of the free product (i.e. changed the feature mix a bit by moving something from paid to free). The problem is that we haven't messaged it enough? Or the fact that the feature happens to have its own desktop icon? Or that the feature happens to be a browser?

I would really appreciate if you could help me understand this better.

Thanks much,
Vlk

You drop a payload on us with no explanation or a way to opt-out from the initial install and you wonder why we're upset?  If we were given the option with a window saying 'we have a new feature from the premium that free users can now enjoy.  would you like to install?', then I wouldn't have been so mad.  A silent install with a shortcut on my desktop I didn't ask for shows disregard for the user.

This is shady tactics, through and through, and I will be looking for another antivirus or even just switching to linux at this point.

I installed avast just for antivirus.  That's all.  I don't want a 'suite' of useless crap I will never use.  I WANT ANTIVIRUS ONLY.  Maybe you all should look into offering just a barebones antivirus alternative with no bells or whistles or extra crap most of us don't even need.

REDACTED

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2016, 01:09:23 AM »
I too came here to see what's going on. To sum it up, I find it unpleasant because:

1: You install secretly, no mention, no prompt, but without my knowledge or consent. And what comes to mind when I think of programs secretly installing, it's viruses, worms, cryptoware software, ads, basically a whole host of bad things that I try to use my common sense + stuff like avast antivirus to protect myself against. So most people are upset because their trust(protecting) got violated by doing something we actively search protection against.

2: You know people would react like that, or you should've known, being a security company especially. I know why you did it silently and act surprised that people are 'offended'. And that is because opt-in will get you a lot less installations than opt-out. People who complain on this forum will delete the new browser themselves, they have the interest to delete it, the knowledge and are motivated to do it. But the regular user, they will not want to go through the trouble of uninstalling this part of the antivirus(probably also afraid they are actually uninstalling their entire browser). And of course with opt-in a lot of regular user would still have chosen not to install it.

3: Regardless of what it says in the EULA, I do not consider this an ethical move from a security business. I do not have the right to complain in a sense since 1: this might be covered in the eula(although this is most likely still illegal in my country, regardless of what the eula claims) and 2: this is a free program. But still, it's annoying.

4: I do hope however that this product of yours is not another company's attempt to gather information about us, our interest so that it might be used for advertising. And no, I do not believe in "specifically selected, trustworthy, i-swear-they-will-never-do-anything-bad" third parties. I have no proof for this, just saying that I hope that this browser is not the first step in this. Because a browser, unlike other premium features you could've offered for free(firewall etc) is a very personal tool.

5: Anyway, I will still continue using avast for now because I at least have the option to remove the browser afterwards and it does not seem like the core product, the av, got changed.

Offline jacal

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2016, 01:25:02 AM »
I think everything has already been told here. Because of the way it was installed, I will not trust this browser my "privacy" or even online banking. To be removed without trying it first.

REDACTED

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2016, 01:48:01 AM »
Well, all you folk you have it installed OK maybe should consider yourself "lucky"! Since I am on dial-up (I know - stop laughing!  :P), it takes quite a while to download some things. In fact, I noted yesterday that my Internet connection was solid BUSY. Tracked it down to Avast. It looks like I being given (not offered - I was given no choice) the SafeZone browser - filename was "ais_cmp_sfzone-7e1.vpx". Well, they are TRYING to give it to me. Alas, their server appears to timeout after exactly 60 minutes and then RETRIES the same download. I watched it this evening and it got about 14MB into the download before resetting and starting again at byte zero. <lather-rinse-repeat ad nauseam!> The only way I can get a usable Internet connection is by, ironically, using Avast. I found the name of the file that it was trying to download in the Setup folder and then just added that filename in the "site blocking" list. I hope that this doesn't mean that I will not continue to get a/v microdefs and updates because it can't get past the SafeZone download.

REDACTED

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2016, 01:54:32 AM »
Well, all you folk you have it installed OK maybe should consider yourself "lucky"! Since I am on dial-up (I know - stop laughing!  :P), it takes quite a while to download some things. In fact, I noted yesterday that my Internet connection was solid BUSY. Tracked it down to Avast. It looks like I being given (not offered - I was given no choice) the SafeZone browser - filename was "ais_cmp_sfzone-7e1.vpx". Well, they are TRYING to give it to me. Alas, their server appears to timeout after exactly 60 minutes and then RETRIES the same download. I watched it this evening and it got about 14MB into the download before resetting and starting again at byte zero. <lather-rinse-repeat ad nauseam!> The only way I can get a usable Internet connection is by, ironically, using Avast. I found the name of the file that it was trying to download in the Setup folder and then just added that filename in the "site blocking" list. I hope that this doesn't mean that I will not continue to get a/v microdefs and updates because it can't get past the SafeZone download.
That is seriously messed up. Why do you say you only get a reliable connection with avast?

REDACTED

« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2016, 01:56:27 AM »
I figure since I work in Behavioral Health and have a previous background in marketing that my 2 cents might actually be full face value here. Vik I can understand your teams expectations that the public would be excited about getting a module not normally available in the free version. I too see a lot of negative feedback in the forums about this safezone mysteriously appearing on consumers pc's. Let's put things in perspective however. How many consumers got this free addition vs. how many complaints you are seeing?. Factor in the consumer behavior that people will make the effort to complain more so than to compliment. You could possibly have 5 times more people that are happy and excited as the Avast team expected than people who are offended and upset but the happy people aren't as motivated to report in. Also factor in what could almost be considered a fact that in America this is the land of entitlement and a certain amount of arrogance comes with that which explains the "How dare you do this" attitude you are probably getting a lot of. If you have done this globally I would bet this kind of complaint is not so prevalent from other countries. We Americans think that everything should be like Burger King where the consumer has it his way. To sum it up I think Avast had a good idea throwing Safezone into the mix but I also think some kind of heads-up would be the proper way to introduce something like this. As evidenced by all these folks getting all territorial about safezones so called 'invasion'. It doesn't allow for the consumer to view this nice gesture of Avast in the proper perspective. They're too distracted by being offended. I said I would put my 2 cents in. Sorry that was more like 3 cents  ;D

REDACTED

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2016, 02:28:19 AM »
...I am trying to understand what we actually did wrong....I would really appreciate if you could help me understand this better.

The problem is that we haven't messaged it enough?
Yes. 
- Users did not have any idea that this would be installed.

- Most users didn't/don't know what Avast SafeZone Browser is.

- It should have at least been an offer via the popups allowing users to -->opt-in<--. If you want user's trust, always offer things as opt-in.
We have control over program and other updates and additional features during setup etc, this is an additional feature, not a core one, we should have been given a choice.
Even with what's in the EULA.
This is great irony.
We use this software to prevent things like this (and others) from being done to us and our systems even though this wasn't done with malicious intent.

It's a significant feature roll-out for free users and it should have been met with greater praise. A lead up to it and way better messaging and forewarning would have made this work out better.

Or that the feature happens to be a browser?
That's not the greater issue, but...
Power users have their browser of choice and are locked into it, like me with Firefox, but I would have just opted out. Non technically inclined users probably wouldn't even click on the icon but, the better messaging may have changed that.

I was and am still annoyed by the way that this went down, but mostly because I had to spend time researching what the frik Avast SafeZone Browser was and how it got on my PC. I honestly thought that some nastyware got by Avast and was masquerading as it.

I'm not nearly as pissed off as others who are dumping Avast because of all of this as mentioned in the forums here and here.

I've been using Avast for more than a decade and have no reason to stop now since this was just a bad choice that I'm sure will be learned from.
It was actually a nice and generous gesture (I mean that sincerely), so thanks to Avast for it, and good luck with dealing with the crap-storm.