Author Topic: SafeZone browser installed itself  (Read 157276 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: SafeZone browser installed itself
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 11:47:41 PM »
Had I not been notified by WinPatrol of a new scheduled task (cancelled) I would have been none the wiser as the SafeZone Browser addition.

After that it was promptly removed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MrMaxaMan

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 01:53:46 AM »
Thanks to Comodo I was alerted to this, then noticed a shortcut on my desktop. All without my permission. Come on Avast, at least give people the choice if they want this or not.
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

Offline no face

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 02:54:26 AM »
Yeah, come on. That's not cool. Users are a bit touchy right now with windows 10 forcing its way on to PCs.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3043526/microsoft-windows/microsoft-upgraded-users-to-windows-10-without-their-ok.html?nsdr=true

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 02:55:13 AM »
was about to post regarding this sudden installation too. lol would've been better if we we're notified. :) Pluuuus, I don't see any uninstall button Avast Safezone on my control panel. lol

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 03:20:54 AM »
How can we uninstall this?
Try to uninstall it using the normal way in win10, but there's only the option to remove / uninstall avast.
I don't want to uninstall avast, but only the safebrowser.
Do not need that stuff and specially not if programs install there self without any notice.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 03:46:38 AM »
To me this all explains NOTHING! It auto installed on my three computers and I did not know what was happening.  If you want me to have it OFFER it to me. Do not force it down my throat.

I have liked and stuck with Avast! because I could choose what I wanted or did not want.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 04:58:31 AM »
iOBit has an uninstaller which I used
How can we uninstall this?
Try to uninstall it using the normal way in win10, but there's only the option to remove / uninstall avast.
I don't want to uninstall avast, but only the safebrowser.
Do not need that stuff and specially not if programs install there self without any notice.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 07:52:49 AM »
Hey Avast Software
You better stop installing software on my machine without my permission. I don't want your hole filled browser and never asked for it. Just because I currently run Avast Anti-Virus does not mean you can do what you want with my machine. If you do that one more time ALL 7 of my machines will no longer run your increasingly McAfee and Norton like system gobbling crap. I don't like where your company is going over the last year and am not going to take it.

Offline avant-guvnor

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 09:06:22 AM »
I agree with some of the posts here. My PC belongs to me not Avast. Avast has no right to install software on my PC unless I give Avast permission, which I have not. To think that they can do what they want is outrageous.

It is simply not on and I want the software removed.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 09:13:18 AM »
Unlike some others here, I've no problem with this free addition/giveaway.
At least, I'll test it for a while and decide later if it's a keeper... ;)
Still, I agree that an announcement before the distribution would've been advisable.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 10:38:21 AM »
I just saw this app on my computer... And yes, an alert, message, something would be great before installing new stuff, but also I don't see this as a big problem.

Yes, maybe it's not an ethical move to install new apps on users's PCs, but it's not a virus, it's not something bad, and it's actually an addon to a program you already accepted to install.

Even more, a free program. All apps must be secure and help users, but we can't really complain about looks, a free and safe addon, and more.

Offline wallofasgard

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 10:44:07 AM »
since it came from avast free that i am using for almost 5 years...then i will try it.Just make sure that this browser will ensure my account's safety online as you promised.

Edit: woot...

too many entries on my task manager:

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:48:51 AM by wallofasgard »

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 10:53:15 AM »
Yes, there are many processes... But it's based on Chromium engine. It's like Chrome, but with enhanced security and some special addons for online transactions/shopping/more.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 10:54:26 AM »
It is sad to see that users just install a application without doing a little research upfront.
avast can and is allowed to install things like this without notification as the users who install avast agreed with the terms/EULA.
All av vendors that I have checked (over 20) have such option mentioned in their EULA.
The same is with many (if not most) other major software companies.
If you don't want this to happen, simply don't install software from such a company.

Sure it would have been nice/decent if avast gave a notification upfront.
In my opinion it would have been the correct thing to do.

If you do not want the SafeZone browser, just remove it.
It is installed as a component of the av and you can remove it as you can any other component.

Info :
avast is giving the SafeZone browser to everyone now, including the ones who have the free version installed.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:17:42 PM by Eddy »

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 11:00:21 AM »
As I read on the other page... It is also available for a limited time? If we have it now, it will be available just...one month? Or forever?
Because if it's like that, it sounds like a trial, and if we get used to it, after that we'll have to pay. At least we should know that.